add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Build to replace a broken ebay pc, complete noobie

n00kie_e99
  • 57 months ago

Hi guys, I'm new here, but have been lingering around the builds section for a while. Basically, I bought a pc off ebay for much more than I probably should have [£398, + £35 shipping] and it was sold as 'very few minor scratches on case' (long story short, it was pretty much knackered when I got it, and had to pay £75 to get it even remotely working). The specs were : "Desktop GAMING PC, Windows 10 Pro Genuine! Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.80Ghzd, could easily be Overclocked to over 3.20Ghz / FREEZER 13 CPU Cooler / 12Gb Ram DDR 3 3X 4GB / GIGABYTE P55 USB 3 / 3Gb AMD RADEON R9 280X MSI Graphics Card / 125Gb Transend SSD / 500Gb Seagate SATA HDD / Corsair CX750M Modular PSU / Silverstone Case with 2 Removable HDD Bays and Blue Neon on Front / ROCCAT ISKU FX Gaming Keyboard / Logitech G300 Gaming Mouse / WIFI USB Dongle / DVD RW Lightscribe / ROCCAT TAITO Gaming Surface. Runs very fast and very cool, Boxes can be seen in picture. No Monitor Included. "

Anyway, I'm having a huge amount of trouble with it, even after being fixed, and I can't get it run properly. I figure I'm best just buying a new one, admitting I was an idiot, and cutting my losses. Basically, I want to rip out what is working of this build (namely the SSD, the HDD and the RAM [though if anything else can be salvaged, it will be] and stick it in a new machine. I will also be keeping the keyboard as that worked too. I have a Samsung 32" HDTV in use a monitor, so am only after 1080p really. I do not want an absolute powerhouse, but future-proof enough for the next 3-5 years or so, able to run stuff at 1080/60fps at high settings ('console killer') and basically let me see what all the fuss with PC gaming is about!

I have been recommended these so far :

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-014-AS [CPU & MOTHERBOARD] http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TPQQ83I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A16X3FHDD1CBXR [GPU]

Presumably I need a case, a psu, cooling etc, But other than that, I am clueless. Please note that I have never built a PC before. and don't really want to try on a build like this in case I mess it up and waste EVEN MORE money that I don't have...

Budget: Roughly £600 total Location: UK Use (Gaming, Rendering, etc): Gaming, the odd Photoshop, internet and the odd Office document.
Peripherals required (monitor, keyboard/mouse, etc): None Operating System required: None, provided the SSD can be transferred to new one. If not, Win 7/10.

Any help would be great, and thanks for reading my wall of text :) Thanks

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor £140.64 @ CCL Computers
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £24.95 @ Aria PC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £77.95 @ Aria PC
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card £264.99 @ Amazon UK
Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case £35.48 @ Novatech
Power Supply SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £65.51 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £609.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-17 00:42 BST+0100
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

The R9 390 edges out the GTX 970 and is about the same price, and the 4690K + mobo combo, while better than what I have, would push this over budget.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

What's wrong with the graphics card?

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

That sounds good, that's be able to run everything smoothly presumably? Would last me for the forseeable future? Thanks for putting that together so quickly.

The graphics card was essentially bent when I took it in for repair, it had just been bodged into the case. The guy who fixed it said that it may not boot and would probably have to be restarted a few times in order to register. A few times can be as few as 2 or as many as 12 so far..... It also seems to run at 90C according to speccy. Probably better if I just upgrade to be honest. Thanks guys

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

190n's build is plenty good enough. I don't think you need a cooler though, one will come with the CPU.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I may end up combining aspects from both builds if possible, as they both look incredible and exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the response!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube