add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

need photoshop desktop upgrade help

GNARSTACHE
  • 57 months ago

I have a whole desktop now but I'm gonna take a few parts out and throw back in some old parts laying around and use it as an encoding desktop.

Things I have already : Nvidia GTX 980 AX860i PSU 2x 128GB SSD 1x 1TB 7200rpm HDD h100i <-- Although I kinda want a new one to leave this in my old rig.

What I need: Case <-- I love the cube cases but they seem to not have the best airflow 32GB ram <-- DDR4 looks great but may be kinda expensive? i7 processor <-- Torn between 4790k and the 5820k Asus Mobo <-- I really like the Maximus series. Look wise at least. I want something with at least 8x USB Possibly a watercooling heatsink for CPU

I have $900-1000 in my bank account right now. I can buy 16gb ram and get the other 16gb later to save some cash right now.

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

No help huh Was hoping to burn some money tonight!

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vCg3YJ

the x99 with a 6 core, watercooling, 34g of ram, cube case

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

This is what I got so far. Minus the graphics card of course. This still needs a nice case. Idk about cube anymore I want lots of airflow and fans. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g6W9D3

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I saw that. It's not bad. Probably gonna be what I get

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor $378.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $249.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $189.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $92.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $911.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-17 13:23 EDT-0400

I would go with the 5820k since those cores will do a lot more for you, also the 4790k does not support DDR4. I know you said you love the cube cases but I picked the next best thing the Fractal Design R5, this case I have had since it came out and it is super quiet, with great airflow. I came in under your budget so you could either put the h100i in there or get a different cooler. I also put a 32gb set of RAM in there. If your budget was more limited I would step down to the 4790k. If you want you might be able to squeeze into a cube case but temps normally suffer and I personally wouldn't but it all depends on the size requirements you have. I would either get the Fractal Design R5 or a Define S both give great airflow and options for water cooling if you want, plus have the hard drive room you need.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I like this build. A buddy of mine recommended the new 6700 K but I'm still thinking six cores would be more beneficial. I like the build you threw up there and I'll probably end up snagging that tonight. I do a lot of gaming and I sometimes run 3 to 4 Diablo three at a time but I would imagine this can hold that as well. I just wanted to make sure the six core would be good enough for gaming and I wouldn't lose out but I figured I can overclock to four ghz if I need To.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

If you had a lower budget I would have gone with a Xeon over the 4790k. Right now for what your doing I would think more cores the better and also more RAM. The 5820k will destroy the 6700k in performance. The six core will have no issue with gaming, even then most games will only use 1 or 2 cores, some might get up to 4, and then you have 8 logical cores remaining for whatever else you want to do. This should allow for higher performance and with a 6 core you wont have to upgrade as soon since at least for this next gen of intel chips they are still 4 core. Also DDR4 has come down a lot in price I am personally contemplating the upgrade. With only money being my holding point.... darn College tuition.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice. This is what I figured but a few other people recommended otherwise so I just wanted to get more thoughts on the issue. I'm about to be living that college life which is why want to get one now that'll last me the next few years for school

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

The 5820k would be the way to go since it has so much more power and should last you a solid few years.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube