add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i7 6700k Build - Up to £1200

jwake89
  • 57 months ago

Hi,

I recently snagged a I7 6700k for £280 and would like to base my build around this. This needs to be included in the budget.

The build will be used for 3D Modelling, Animation and rendering (Maya, 3DS Max, CAD etc.) and would like the best gaming experience possible. Would like something futureproof, upgradable and reliable. Would love your advice which you think the best bang for buck graphics card I could afford. I will be happy with 1080p but happy to take your advice.

Please include a monitor and cheap keyboard / mouse (not important as i can upgrade in the future).

Build is based in the UK.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

This should do the trick plenty of ram a great video card and a nice 1080p monitor with a black and white theme :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor £280.47 @ Ebuyer
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler £34.94 @ Scan.co.uk
Motherboard MSI Z170 Krait Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £116.39 @ Amazon UK
Memory Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory £77.05 @ Ebuyer
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £36.95 @ Scan.co.uk
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card £258.35 @ Aria PC
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 ATX Mid Tower Case £65.00 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £61.98 @ Amazon UK
Monitor LG 25UM65-P 60Hz 25.0" Monitor £167.99 @ Aria PC
Keyboard Logitech K120 - UK Layout Wired Standard Keyboard £10.49 @ Ebuyer
Mouse Kensington K72356US Wired Optical Mouse £6.21 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1192.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-16 21:45 BST+0100
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Ooo pretty! Thanks for taking the time out to reply, much appreciated!

32gb of ram maybe a bit overkill for what I'm currently doing, maybe the price of 16gb could be better spent elsewhere? I could easily upgrade it in the future if need be.

Also, I would switch the Seagate to WD (personal preference). And since its pretty, how about a case with a slight viewing window?

Lastly, would love your opinion on choosing AMD over similarly priced Nvidia cards?

Apologies for the questions, just my first build and want to get it right haha. Getting the best value of course, as everybody does.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay so I revised the build with 16gb of ram, I managed to find a windowed version of this case for about £5 more. I also beefed up the cooler to the larger version still black and white and also changed the power supply to a gold standard one.

About the hdd the price of a WD hdd is 57 for 1tb of storage I would advise you to go for the 2tb seagate hybrid drive which basically is a good medium between a hdd and an ssd, watch this which explains it better than I can: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaxBmTTTWMo

Right now for AMD their two best priced cards are the 390 and the 380 both better than their counterparts at equal to lower prices. The 390x doesn't give much improvement over the 390 and can be up to £100 more expensive which seems slightly pointless. In the higher end its still ruled by nvidia but with dx12 on the horizon I think we might see some interesting results on the performance front.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor £280.47 @ Ebuyer
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler £68.42 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard MSI Z170 Krait Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £116.39 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive £68.34 @ Aria PC
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card £258.35 @ Aria PC
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case £69.98 @ Novatech
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £75.99 @ Ebuyer
Monitor LG 25UM65-P 60Hz 25.0" Monitor £167.99 @ Aria PC
Keyboard Logitech K120 - UK Layout Wired Standard Keyboard £10.49 @ Ebuyer
Mouse Kensington K72356US Wired Optical Mouse £6.21 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1199.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-16 23:49 BST+0100
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks amazing, thanks.

Just wondering, what do you think of the skylake i7? Do you think I've been daft to choose it? How would you do this build from scratch?

Do you think I could fiddle with this design and squeeze a good Nvidia card in it?

This is the last time ill bother you, I really appreciate the help.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I think skylake is a good choice it's always nice to have the newest tech and it doesn't come with too much of a premium.

I think you should stick with amd the next best thing would be a 980 or fury and that's about £130 for the cheapest 980 which I think would compromise too much especially at £1200 you deserve a good system.

With the monitor at 1080p you really don't need anything more than a 390 which is a great card watch this to see it vs the 970: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9cKZiJw6Pk

but mainly focus on the fps you get which is pretty great and in the future if you ever think this lags behind another 390 will be up there with 980ti performance or better, and by that time dx12 should be out and amd cards will get a great boost I performance when dx12 games start to come out.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I really appreciate your knowledge and input. Cant thank you enough!

Ill start to compile all my parts and keep you posted how I get on. Finger crossed it all goes smoothly.

Cheers again.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

You can easily crossfire a 390

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

If you watch jayztwocents video on the 390 the overclocked 390 is better than an overclocked 970. Plus it has 8gb of vram which is a huge improvement over 3.5. Yes it will run cooler and use less power but amd has always run hotter and used more power it doesn't stop the 390 being a better option than a 970.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube