add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows Vista bluescreens after running for awhile, just removed graphics card

TheKDoge
  • 57 months ago

Vista will turn on, log in, and settle down just fine. After launching Google Chrome, it bluescreens randomly. Note that this is a 32-bit system.

I had just removed a recently purchased GFX card (to move it to a new build).

Now it bluescreens after a random amount of time.

THEORY TIME:

This is a 32-bit system, so it can only address so much memory. When I put the card in, it readdressed everything so that the 1GB of GFX mem could be addressed.

After removing it, it still thinks the memory is there, and bluescreens whenever it tries to access that memory (whenever it gets above 2GB or so of usage).

NOTE: Reinstalling Windows is a last-resort solution and I would probably swap HDD's with my new machine (to backup) before doing so.

EDIT: Windows Memory DIagnostics found hardware errors. Investigation required. (Who on earth puts four sticks of 1GB in a PC, then sets it to dual-channel

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

That's weird. Probably gonna have to reinstall or have some sort of problems with your memory. I remember when I got vista I thought it was great. Then when my PC had all sorts of problems I couldn't wait for windows 7 to come out. Vista seemed like a beta version of 7 in that it had so many compatibility problems and was much slower than xp and even 7.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually it was even stranger, there were 2 sticks of 500MB and 2 of 1GB. Anyhow, while testing the ram (take all the sticks out, then put them in one at a time and test each stick), I accidentally let Windows boot up. This fixed the problem somehow, and the computer is now functioning normally. I think it was some 32-bit mess-up.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube