add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Programming & General Internet Use

dorklowski
  • 57 months ago

I would like to put together a PC that I can install Linux mint on. I will use it mostly for programming for my classes, and just general internet use. I have windows machines already and would like to learn linux, so I figured if I had a PC running strictly that I would pretty much be forced to use it and learn it. I would like to be able to set up a 2nd monitor with it either when I purchase the parts for it, or sometime in the future with out having to mess with anything other than hooking it up.

Budget - about $600 Location - US Use - Programming & General internet use Peripherals - Monitor(or 2) I have extra keyboard and mouse OS - Linux Mint

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NZZ2sY

Very Small Form Factor

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mLs8t6

Standard (ATX Size) Form Factor

This is the best for $600 and your requirements, in my opinion.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

There is absolutely no need to include a graphics card. None whatsoever

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Great microATX case, all the performance you'll need, with two monitors and a fully-modular PSU, all in budget:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor $113.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $76.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $39.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $46.99 @ Amazon
Case Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $58.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $65.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor AOC e2250Swdn 60Hz 22.0" Monitor $89.99 @ Newegg
Monitor AOC e2250Swdn 60Hz 22.0" Monitor $89.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $582.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-17 11:51 EDT-0400
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

For a dedicated "learn linux" machine, a small SSD is far better than a large mechanical drive.

People new to linux, will break linux, multiple times, before learning how not to break linux, makes system re-install and all that rebooting go much faster.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think that just programming or internet surfing would utilize more than 4 threads, so the i3 should be a great choice with plenty of upgradeability, should OP decide that they want to turn it into a gaming desktop.

And for what it's worth, the i3 performs better than the Athlon 860k, FX63xx, or FX83xx, except in the very rare cases where more than 4 threads are utilized simultaneously

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

More cores would be useful for running VMs, which is a common task when programming for mobile devices

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

cheaper case + 128gb SSD +320GB caviar blue drive

I think that's better for his use.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm going to go a different route here than other builds...

I think that if you're learning to be a software developer, and are learning linux, then you should probably have a system with a functioning IOMMU and a GPU that supports mediated hardware passthrough, as this is quickly becoming a larger player in the direction of future software, especially in linux, which is the dominant OS choice for server platforms that run VM's. I think it would also be fruitful to go ahead and do a system with ECC memory so that you can learn in linux how to confirm ECC function, and of course, improve your system reliability while you're at it.

I also think that if you're learning linux and programming, that a decently powerful CPU for compiling is not a bad idea. You may not write any massive programs yourself, but you may be making changes to existing software and compiling it for testing/learning.

I recommend a 240GB SSD for this. I would probably break this up into a few partitions so that you can install various linux distros. This is better for learning, and better for recovery in case you "break" one of the installs and want a quick way to recover files. I would probably do a 8-16GB swap partition, 3 X 40GB partitions for system installs, and a storage partition of the remainder to be mounted and used for general storage or VM disk images by all 3 OS installs.

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320E 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor $124.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler RAIJINTEK AIDOS BLACK 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $19.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $93.99 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $59.99 @ Adorama
Storage PNY CS2111 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $79.00 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card $114.99 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake Versa H25 ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ B&H
Monitor Acer S241HL bmid 60Hz 24.0" Monitor $119.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Acer S241HL bmid 60Hz 24.0" Monitor $119.99 @ Newegg
Total $827.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-17 17:40 EDT-0400
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks for the response, I do have a question about the build. When I go to the list it's flagged with a Warning: These parts have potential issues/incompatibilities which are:

• Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory is ECC, but the Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard does not support ECC RAM.

• Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs.

Is there a way to make the MB and RAM compatible? And will I need to update the BIOS to use the CPU?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there a way to make the MB and RAM compatible?

Yes.

All you have to do, is ignore PCPPs incorrect compatibility information, which I have attempted to have corrected on multiple occasions to no avail, and pay attention to AMD's specifications for Vishera and Asus's specification for the motherboard, and they will magically work together just fine ;)

And will I need to update the BIOS to use the CPU?

No. That compatibility note is a remnant from a by-gone bulldozer erra. Any AM3+ motherboard you buy these days "new" is going to be compatible out of the box with vishera. Vishera has been out for years.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Having more cores is very useful when running VMs or multiple VMs. If you could find an extra $40, I would recommend picking up another 8 Gb of RAM as VMs, IDEs and web browsers tend to be pretty RAM intensive.

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320E 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor $136.86 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard $77.38 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $42.69 @ Amazon
Storage Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $48.97 @ B&H
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $46.97 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus Radeon R5 230 1GB Video Card $33.78 @ SuperBiiz
Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $47.07 @ Directron
Power Supply Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $36.72 @ Newegg
Monitor Acer S241HL bmid 60Hz 24.0" Monitor $131.38 @ Newegg
Total (before mail-in rebates) $641.82
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $601.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-18 17:28 EDT-0400

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube