add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

OS instalation accidental free copy of 8.1...

johnsrudtf
  • 57 months ago

I ordered a pc from Cyberpower pc (didn't have the time to build one) and just unboxed it and plugged it in. Now I did not order an OS because as a student I can get windows 10 for free through dreamspark. When I turned it on it had windows 8.1 installed however... So I set it up just to see what was going on. So now I have a product key for Windows 10, and windows 8.1 on the computer. What is the easiest and best method of getting windows 10 on this pc? I have a USB iso that I can use, but I just need to know what to do... when I restarted the computer with the USB plugged in it came up with the windows installation page and when I put in the product key it said it wasn't recognized. So I think that was the installation page for 8.1. As I see it I have two options, upgrade via the windows upgrade app, or wipe my drive and start from scratch? Advice please!!!

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Aarg!! I extracted the file great. Then I deleted the old iso from my USB by formatting it... now when I plug in the USB with the new iso it says that it's missing the driver. So I think I accidentally deleted the driver off the USB when I deleted the old iso. Fun times. I'm going to go find the driver online

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I finally got the OS running, but now I can't connect to the internet... I'm plugged in with an ethernet cable and it says that it doesn't have a driver for the network adapter. How do I get that?

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Go to your motherboard's website on another computer and get the drivers. If you have the disk, you can load those, they'll likely be outdated but they'll get you online then you can update.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks. I got it all figured out!

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok so I realized that my 8.1 installation isn't activated. Also, I booted the computer with my iso on my usb and my product key didn't work... Is that because I have and educational version product key? Do I need a different ISO?

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, my product key is for windows 10. Specifically I have the product key for this : Windows 10 Education 32/64-bit (English). I can download the iso for either the 32 or 64 bit version on dreamspark, but it is only for a dvd, and my pc doesn't have a optical drive. The iso I have on my usb currently is from the link you provided in your first post.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube