add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Breakaway from Laptops <$600

LeviathanPhoeniX
  • 57 months ago

I've owned three laptops now, and I've come to realize that I have no reason to be using one. I never bring my computer anywhere, I have plenty of space, and I have access to uninterrupted power/Ethernet. My Hp Evny Dv7 just died again, and I'm not willing to go through with another repair.

I need to build a PC that wont drain what little funding I have, but is still at least moderately expandable once I have more money to put into it.

My two biggest concerns are the two programs I use the most often: Adobe Illustrator and Tera. While neither of these put very heavy strain on graphics cards, (despite being an art program and a HI-def MMO) they both put notoriously large strains on the CPU. To make things worse, neither of these programs can effectively use more than two cores at any given time.

Aside from those, I'm only really running moderately stressful programs.(Minecraft, C&C Red Alert, Photoshop, Flash games, etc.)

Ventilation is of moderate concern, because of the desk it's going to be inside of, but I'm not incredibly worried because the space is wide and has no door or back panel.

The only other things of importance that I can think of are that the case has to be the Rosewill THOR V2, because I have an unnatural obsession with it, and that I already have a few usable parts:

Monitor (two actually, but one is awful)

450W Power Supply (that only has wiring for one fan, I'll probably sell it)

A 2gb off-brand ram stick (DDR2, PC2)

A 1gb Samsung ram stick (PC2)

An Asus/delta CPU fan (AUB0812VH 3-Pin 80MM, I don't have the heat sink, if that's relevant)

A 160gb 3.5" Hard drive (Western Digital WD1600AAJS-65WAA0, Also contains Win Vista, because reasons)

A 540gb 2.5" Hard drive with Win10 (unknown make/model, <3yrs old)

A DVD/CD drive (SATA)

A Blu-ray Drive (from a laptop, may or may not be functional)

An unidentified communications card (it has phone port, assuming dial-up functionality)

All functional peripherals (headphones, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc.)

I also have two PC3 ram sticks from the laptop, but I doubt they'll be of any use in this.

Noise is negligible, I have a 70db air conditioner running in my room 24/7 and I have headphones if need be.

Comments

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks pretty good, thanks for the build! I'm sorry about the case, I have this undying desire to get this specific case because I have some weird, unnatural love for it.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I am really curious though, do you have any idea if I'd be able to use the Blu-Ray drive from my laptop in the tower? I know I'd need some additional mounting, but otherwise I have nothing that can play Blu-Ray

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll have to get back to you on that. I'd need to take the bottom panel of the laptop off to check.

According to the internet, it's just SATA.

the part number is 681984-001

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube