add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How loud is the stock cooler for an i5 4590?

Feliks

52 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Feliks/saved/#view=fvKV3C

This build is hopefully going to be pretty quiet. I'm concerned however because Intel stock coolers apparantly have a reputation for being loud?

I was wondering how loud you guys think an i5 4590 stock cooler would be, and if it would be really loud (I do intend to use this for gaming) what a good, CHEAP aftermarket cooler for my CPU would be? It has to fit in my Mini-ITX case.

Much thanks,

Feliks

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Go with the arctic i11 LP that you have there in the build, that will be perfect.

The noise level of the stock cooler can be difficult to understand and compare because while the Intel stock cooler is actually relatively quiet compared to many aftermarket coolers when compared at maximum fan speed, it may actually have to run near maximum fan speed much more often, whereas, something like the i11 LP, which is leveraging the heat flux advantages of liquid heatpipes, won't have to work the fan as hard to achieve the same (or better) thermal resistance. In fact, I'd expect that with the BIOS fan control set to quiet mode the LP should never have to "spin up" off of its base 900 RPM, which should be very quiet on such a small fan.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think it is the same as the i11 or even the equivalent of a low-profile version of that cooler.

That being said, I'm hearing crappy things about going with a "cheap" cooler like this one, like that it breaks more and won't be as reliable or cool as well. Is this the case?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry I have the semantics of the model numbers mixed up. It's called the Freezer 11 LP. I'm injecting an "i" from false memories.

Either way, the HSF has proven good enough to handle overclocked i7 sandy bridge chips without exceeding thermal margins in torture testing. For the money I think it's hard to beat. I've had great luck with Arctic brand products over the years and wouldn't hesitate to use the little freezer 11 LP on any 1150 socket CPU to reduce noise in a low profile application.

That said, another approach here worth considering, is something large enough to almost "seal" up against the bottom of the PSU. This would require something with either no fan (butted very close), or with a fan that can be reversed to align the air-flow with the PSU's fan.

Thinking the Cooler Master GeminII M4, Scythe shuriken and big shuriken, Thermalright AXP-100, Silverstone AR06, etc.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

you can also get the cooler master geminII

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rrgmm416pkr2

I always try to avoid those coolers that are mounted with the stupid pin system, which in many cases fails over time and loses strength.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube