add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Maximus hero vi vs formula

Jossos
  • 82 months ago

Hi, I'm wanting to sli 2x 780's (starting off with one, will add another next year), wondering with mobo will be the best.

I heard formula can do 16x by 16x, and hero does 8x by 8x.

Does it realy matter? apparently pcie 8x 8x isn't that much different from 16x 16x, but I wanted to hear some thoughts on these two mobo's, or maybe another 1150 board you can suggest (keep in mind im using a massive noctua nh-d14 cpu cooler, need space for them ram sticks)

Comments

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

The formula is no different from the hero when it comes to PCIE slots

Both do either 16x/0/0 8x/8x/0 8x/4x/4x All and all there the same

But a little tech info for ya. The boards that do dual 16x/16x usually have a plex chip when it comes to the 1150 socket since the CPU its self it limited to 16x or 8x/8x but it is faster than a cpu using a plex chip on a board doing 16x/16x sli.

The formula is better than the hero in multiple ways.

1 It has a AC wireless network adapter

2 It has a HIGH end intergrated sound system compared to most boards

3 It has allot more features.

But if your going for a budget stick with the hero since you will get the same pcie set-up

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh snap screw the budget im getting a formula :D

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea its really good board. I bought it my self but still have not built my rig yet.

The only negative response i have seen from reviews from people is the aluminum header for cooling but it has a protective coating in the h20 section but if your not doing a custom loop it will air cool no problem. That and the cover plate fro the front its nothing more than plastic and aesthetic look and prevents GPU coolers from blowing on motherboard parts. The back plate thoe is a heatsink and will help your mobo components.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

yea my cpu cooler is the noctua nh-d14 (biggest goddam air cooler on earth), i liked the hero because it had plenty of space between ram/gpu spots and the cpu.

edit - oh damn the formula isn't available to buy from my vendors :S

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Aparently it is a newegg exclusive mobo. thats where i had to get myn

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Heh, did the same thing, waiting to build mine too

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea im out in the desert. Waiting sucks but will be so worth it.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

I've ordered the Formula myself, can't wait to get my hands on it. I don't believe it's exclusive to Newegg though, just look around!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube