add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

bring down noise of CPU fan cooler

Ben_vh

52 months ago

hey guys,

im looking for some help / advice to lower the speed / rpm and noise of my cpu fan.

I have a MSI Z97 gaming 6 motherboard (comes with fan control but doesn't work for this fan because its only a 3pin?)

I5 4690K Overclocked to 4.1 via MSI oc genie

Watercooled with Corsair H60 and changed the fan today to a Bitfenix spectre Pro but its running at full speed and not changable

By the end of this year I will change the aircooler to a Kraken x31 but i assume it will have the same problem..

So a few questions:

• would a 3 to 4 pin adapter let me change the speed and solve the issue?
  • Am i overlooking something simple that would solve this? (Ive tried Bios and everything but it stays at 100%)
  • anyone else having this issue?

Tnx in advance!

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

I have a MSI Z97 gaming 6 motherboard (comes with fan control but doesn't work for this fan because its only a 3pin?)

CPU fan header only control speed on PWM fans which have speed control on the 4th pin. 3 pin fans have a speed control on second pin. This is the way you have to connect it as you have sufficient headers.

Connect the pump from the H60 to CPU_FAN header (this is very important, you need to disable automatic control on this header so pump runs at full speed.)

Connect the fan (check in bios to see which system fan headers are controlled in the bios) to one of the system fan headers controlled in bios (it doesn't matter that this header is 4 pin as they have speed control on second pin). You will be able to manually adjust the speed, example 40%. That should solve the problem.

Only PWM fans can be controlled automatically, and this motherboard only has 2 headers that will.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

hey, tnx for your reply!

Currently my normal fans are connected to a lamptron fan controller so they dont use any of the mobo connections.

My radiator is connected to CPU fan1 and the fan to CPUfan2 (this is the way it was suggested in the manual)

I turned off the autospeed but still cant seem to figure it out.. ill try to google it! I will come back to you ^

Thanks for this elaborated explanation

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

ok btw, i overlooked one thing you said... i will change the fan from CPU2 to systemfan1!

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

ok this fixed it... rly simple fix!

Tnx a loooooot!

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

you're welcome!

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Just get a decent air cooler if your case supports it later on, it will be quieter and will provide better bang for your buck.

would a 3 to 4 pin adapter let me change the speed and solve the issue?

That would make it run at full rpm.

Am i overlooking something simple that would solve this?

Use the fan that came with it and it should be PWM and you should be able to change the speed of it in the bios somewhere.

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

3 pin fans have speed control on second pin so he will be able to manually put a fix speed on any of the 4 pin SYS_fans headers which in reality are not PWM headers.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Sometimes I don't think straight, I guess that is what happens when you are operating on 5 hours of sleep, building a PC and trying to do homework at the same time.

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

take it easy on yourself. :)

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

tnx but i have a windowed case.. and no aircooler looks decent in that. I care a lot about the looks and ive also spent money to make it look nice. An aircooler takes much more place compared to the watercoolers.

I applied the solve from pegotico and now its fine ^

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

no aircooler looks decent in that. I care a lot about the looks and ive also spent money to make it look nice.

There are air coolers out there that look good, you are just looking at the wrong coolers.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

im not looking at the wrong coolers...

a watercooler covers just about the CPU square and has a fan.. nothing there bothers me.

An air cooler is at least as big as a fan, covering the motherboard and i dont like that,; simple as that.

Like i said, i have invested in the looks with custom items, (custom graphics card backplate, custom cables, nice looking mobo..) I don't wanna cover those up in any way.. but ty anyways

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube