add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do people upgrade cases?

iceshade613

51 months ago

Is that a thing? Say I build a pc with a cheap 50$ nzxt source 210, but down the line I want a air 540 pr storm stryker, can I just switch all the parts over and not worry about doing any kind of clean install or anything?

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, the only thing that changed is the looks on the outside. Not the inside hardware

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

yes, this is perfectly normal. but it's wise to get a good psu, motherboard and case upfront. these determine what can go into your build. if there is a component you can easily sacrifice on "for now" it's the gpu and ram. the easiest and most likely to upgrade or swap components.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I'm thinking the source 210 is ok for now, along with the fx 6300 and gtx 960, and I might upgrade in the future for better looks, air 540 or storm stryker.

But to those who have the source 210, how is it? Decent to build in for a new builder?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

the case can fit the big coolers like the NH-D14 and is solid. doesn't have the best feature set, but everything at that price point has compromises. I have one under the steps downstairs now. I initially built a system with a R9 280X, seasonic X750, Asus Z87 Pro wifi and 4770k in it for my friend. he moved to a Corsair 750D shortly after so the source 210 has been sitiing around here since last year.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm very back and forth for the mobo, in the past when I bought custom pcs and had them built, I picked the cheapest motherboards and regretted it. Going for the msi 970 gaming atx this time.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

exactly. get a motherboard with good vrm (especially an AMD board), some dual gpu support, and some decent connectivity. doesn't need to be the best components and thickest pcb on the market, just the best you can afford. the 970A Gigabyte UD3P has better vrm hardware than the 970 gaming, but the 970 gaming isn't bad at all and has SLI support. the power supply is even more important. they are "pillars" that will either support or sink your build completely and the case is the third pillar. as many builds I did in the source 210, it's a dated case. sure the width and build quality is still better than almost every newer sub $65 case, but no dedicated SSD mounts, the non elite version isn't toolless, fixed, inward facing hard drive mounts. it boggles my mind why NZXT hasn't updated this case with simple and common removable drive cages like on the P240. that'd be enough to make the source 210 still the go to budget case IMO.

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

If you build with the NZXT Source 210, you should keep it! I love the simple look.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

yes

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Please explain to me how switching a case will make you need to reinstall windows...

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Well geez I don't know.. I figure disconnecting everything and reconnecting it lol. My first pc build I'm doing my self.. so sue me lol

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol I still haven't built my 1st PC either...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube