add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

trying to legitimately get another windows 7 product key.

illiadin
  • 57 months ago

so im building a computer, and since i already have windows 7 box set with the discs and roduct key i thought i could buy another key to use activate windows on my new pc...why would i want to buy another box set if all i need is the key after all?

so my questions are. do i really have to spend 100$ just to get a 25 digit code? or can i just buy the product key from some where? is there another way to get a new code legally and have it be legit?

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

Make sure whatever code you buy is the same version as the box set you have, otherwise youll have to download a new copy as well... and yes, your actually paying for the code and not the box set. Your best bet at a legit purchase now is the big pc and office suppliers like newegg, tigerdirect, staples, office depot, best buy, etc... Microsoft stops direct sale shortly after a new OS is released... and 7 was 2.5 versions ago...

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah but what kind of stupid company decision is it to refuse money for something as simple as randomly generating a 25 digit code? its not like i was only offering to pay 5 bucks, i was prepared to pay almost full price. i just didn't want to drive to the nearest walmart 60 miles away.....that's a bad business decision.

walmart has windows home premium SB for 89$...which is the cheapest i could find.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

The same reasoning behind giving windows 10 as a free upgrade... by only selling, and ecouraging the new OS, that means less people will need support on the old OS. They want to phase the old stuff out. It costs far too much to keep supporting an OS so many years after it has been replaced already.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

windows 7 isnt worth it at this point get 8.1 or 10 and just leave it at that

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Legit would be from Microsoft, but I'm sure you could find a valid key elsewhere for cheaper.

If you bought an OEM version and plan on taking the old computer out of commission, you can use the same key.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

unfortunatley the other pc now belongs to my grandmother, so she can check her email, save photos and whatnot...her other pc was a dinosaur dell from the early 2000s...it would be grimy for me to take it back hahaha.

i actually called microsoft and told them i wanted to buy another key since thats all i need and they told me they no longer sell 7, or 8 for that matter...they only do stuff with 10. verbatim this is what i asked him "so youre telling me that even if i have money you wont sell me the key?"...to which he relied "that is correct"....the ******** thing is i know if i had the discs and lost my key i could call them and request a new one for a fee...so i know they can sell them...maybe i just got a bad customer service rep. i'm gonna try again tomorrow.

i've also looked and found sites selling keys but they seem shady, they sell them for 20$ but if it end up being fake, then i might as well have just bought another box set.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

You won't be getting a Windows 7 key from Microsoft any more (or even a Win 8/8.1 for that matter). They have an end of sales policy which basically means that they stopped selling retail copies of Win 7 two years ago.

However, this doesn't mean local resellers don't sell them any more. So your best bet might be to go to your preferred IT store and ask there for a copy. You'll get the box again, but since you're paying for the license key and not for the box it comes in that shouldn't be that much of a bother.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the information man, my parts are showing up tomorrow, and i was just hoping i could save myself a 120 mile round trip to the nearest walmart to buy a box set...unfortunately i didn't count on this happening.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube