add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New build PC - Installing OS onto SSD Query

Barry.Cuffe
  • 57 months ago

So I've bought the parts for my new pc http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/NTKbP6 and they're starting to arrive. The SSD has arrived already. What I'm wondering is can I install windows 10 onto it now before it goes into my new build, or can i copy it over from my current HDD onto the new SSD? Trying to plan ahead as my new pc will not have an optical drive. Am I going to need an external for all the CD's/DVD's that come with all the parts? Starting to feel woefully unprepared as every build guide i find goes on about putting in the CD etc.

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. I'd start fresh. Dont copy and os off an old pc directly

2. Go ahead an install windows 10, but I'd discourage doing anything else with drivers or anything.

3. Once your parts arrive, install the drivers in the new build from the online websites.

4. If you want, go ahead and put windows on a flash drive. Microsoft has a utility to do it really easily.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

So it's worth me buying a connector to link my SSD to my current PC and then install windows 10 onto the SSD that way? Total novice in terms of the initial startup. Only ever had prebuilds or done clean reinstalls.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have to buy a special connector, dont bother.

Just put it on a flash drive and install off the flash drive once you put the new pc together.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I'd need to buy a connector. If i DL windows 10 onto a USB and install it on new PC that way, will i need to revert back to windows 7 on this PC (my current one) as it'll be the same key? Or am I going to need to buy a new key for the new computer I'm building?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh. This changes everything (kind of)

Put instead windows 7 on your usb, assuming you can reuse the key.

Then (I think) as long as it's not an OEM key on your current pc you should be able to use it. Even if it's an OEM key, you might be able to still use it.

You may need to call MS and have them reset the key or something.

I've never had to do that before, so I'm not 100% sur e on any of this.

Then once you have the key activated you can upgrade to windows 10.

You shouldnt have to mess with your existing install.

Once again, I am not entirely sure on any of this. If anyone knows an easier way/has corrections PLEASE reply.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube