add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CX Series PSU?

joelhowell
  • 54 months ago

CX Series PSU on NON OC build?

ex: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4ggfTW

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

it'll work. probably definitely not the best option for the price. the xfx TS 550 is currently $51.99. Vagabond is correct about not needing the cpu cooler. and you can find a better case than the 200R for $5-$10 less. more money to spend on the psu so you don't have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a build like this.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope, its not good and is crap for its price as usually and you don't need that Evo 212 and imo that case is overpriced for what you get.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not about the build I honestly just but Sugar Honey Ice Tea together. What PSU is semi modular and is as good or better for around the same money?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Why does it have to be semi modular?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg520m

This is much, much better than that mediocre CX psu.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a $67 PSU it must be modular because I hate unused cables!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

You said around, you never gave a budget,, if you want something cheaper, actually cheaper than the CX and is still better I would recommend this, the OEM is Seasonic, the only downside is that it is not semi modular.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9

The only

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Really, what makes it that much better?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

The CX has mediocre voltage regulation, mediocre ripple suppression, mediocre build quality, and is only rated to work for 30C and below. The HCg has decent ripple suppression. the build quality is decent, and the volt regulation is decent and its rated for at leat 40C.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

The CX had better ripple suppression then the HCg. Also the CX is not rated to only work at 30C and below. Corsair list all there PSU normal operating temps at 0-50c. The 30C is the continuous output rated temp, which they set to put the time before failure at 100,000 hours. The Antec lists operating temp as 0-40C.

http://www.corsair.com/~/media/Corsair/download-files/manuals/corsair-psu-spec-table-091813.pdf

As far as build quality, the Antec has Japanese secondary caps while the Corsair has Taiwanese caps. Both have Japanese primaries.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

What's the difference between CX 500 and CX 500M

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

The M is the modular version. Inside they are the same units.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay :)

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

you could do some changes. I think everyone mention most of them already.. That is a locked cpu and H97 motherboard. That mobo supports up to 1600 ram so no need to get faster as it will be downclocked. The evo is not needed and you can use that money towards getting a better psu. I changed the case to the S340 black and blue which is an extremely nice and great case. The ram is blue and the 380 is the 4gb version. it will be alittle more but with mail in rebate it goes down.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor $114.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $69.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $45.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card $188.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ NZXT
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $634.71
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $584.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-25 18:00 EDT-0400
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! Although I wasn't really looking for a build I kinda just through some crap together to get people's opinions on the CX series but thank you very much!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

yep, probably the only CX worth buying if you get it for 20 bucks is the 430 watts version which is the better of all CX. Others.. naaah

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Even if you don't OC?!?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Overclocking is just going to pull more watts from the PSU. So if you have the head room in a power supply you will be fine.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

How come you say CX is good others hate on it so much?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

the thing is that quality is not the best, and corsair rated the CX series for up to 100,000 hours but only at 30c, this means that at higher temps it will not last that long. Good psu are rated for higher temps. HOnestly you can get a muuuch better psu for a similar price. Just out of ignorance, someone should buy a CX psu. The EVGA 600B1 which honestly is not that great of a psu is rated for up to 100.000 hours and up to 50C and this is an average unit...

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I heard the B1's sucked worse than the CX's

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, it is getting harder to justify any of the CX series because of price. Right now the 430 is about the only one that makes sense, unless someone is hell bent on modular.

One point of correction, the EVGA 600B1 max power is only rate at 40C, not 50C. Plus those are calculations based on the Capacitors ratings and the EVGA does not just a Japanese main cap.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube