add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Not sure what PSU to buy with this build. Any help?

VirdianAbyss
  • 54 months ago

I've got all my components for this build, except the PSU. This seems to be the only piece of hardware that a few people disagree on. Some say I should get 750, others say I can go lower. What is exactly the lowest I can go without sacrificing functionality. Any help would be appreciated. Here's the build. Keep in mind the case has a few extra fans etc.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/McktD3

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

You always want extra headroom for a PSU. So if you build power is calling for 467 watts peak power demaind you want to add at least 100 watts while rounding up. So that gets you to 600 watts. Then if you are planning on overclocking you want to add at the very least another 100 watts of more. So that get you 700+ watts.

So a 750 watt power supply is about right if you are going to overclock. You could most likely go lower, but unless it is really a budget issue the greater headroom is a good thing. It will keep your PSU from running at high load and giving it a longer life.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

In agreement with m52nickerson. You could run the system with a 550 watt, but absolutely no headroom for overclocking or expansion. A 650 would be a good safe place. 750 would put you in great standing, and utilize the psus efficiency a little better. There are 3 sweet spots for efficiency in a PSU. 20% of its rated capacity, 50% and 80%. The sweetest efficiency spot is 50%, but you won't notice a real world difference, unless you live in some country that power costs you a butt load.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

the lowest you should go is a well made 550 watt for cheap like the XFX TS 550 or Antec 550 green. I recommend getting a good 650 watt for this build. if you want to be able to run a second gpu in crossfire (a warming proposition in a small case with half the panels covered) then an 850 will do it as long as you don't oc the gpus. AMD put 750 watt for people who end up buying psus from apevia, coolmax etc.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube