add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Linux Number Cruncher

drumuk
  • 56 months ago

On of my PCs is getting a bit flakey and I think it's time for a rebuild\newbuild to replace it. Currently it's an AMD 8350 running stock, which when I bought it was pretty much the best bang per buck I could get. However things move on as we all know. The system is used mainly for multi-threaded number crunching, using python (at the moment) in Linux. Ideally what I'm looking for is the best Bang per buck for this situation.

Part of me thinks that maybe sticking with the 8350 and updating the motherboard and memory to give a faster overclocked platform, is the way to go, but I'm also wondering about completely new hardware. I'm aware that the best option is probably some 16 core Xeon or similiar but for the price tag I could probably build 2 8 core AMDs,

Anybody any thoughts on the best way to go??

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

it depends on your budget, you could go 8-core haswell cpu, you could also go for a Xeon but if you want cheap and not terrible, then the FX-9590 might be a good choice, its basically a newer architecture and faster FX 8350...

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks questionmaster I guess for me it's about grunt per cost. Which ofcourse isn't as simple as comparing CPU benchmarks, because it's alright saying that I could buy two AMD processors and have more processing power (which is a definite option BTW) but you also then have 2 motherboards/power supplies etc to buy. So if I look at a FX9570 it's going to be about 200UKP, to get a similar speed (according to the website I looked at) Intel I'd be looking at an i7-4770 (Okay only 4 core but similar CPU Mark), to get anywhere near twice the performance from the CPU I'd need something like a Xeon E5-2695, which costs the best part of 2000UKP, the difference in price would easily cover the cost of the additional components required for an extra CPU.

So I guess the next question will be how well they overclock, and an onverclocked 8350 is going to compare to a 9570 (which I believe doesn't overclock by much) or even an i7 in the 200-300 UKP price range, again possibly overclocked.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube