add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Corsair CX500m PSU confusion

milesknight
  • 54 months ago

I keep coming across stuff talking about how crap the CX500(m) is. I really dont understan why people hate them so much and make them seem like even looking at one will make it blow up your house. Two of my friends and I all use the CX500m with AMD 8350s, and varying gpus from a 750ti to a R9 280x. both my friend with the 280x and I (I have a R9 270x) have had our comuters for around two years while my frind with the 750ti has only had his for a few months but none of use have had any problems at all. No humming, weird smells ect... not to mention no fires or smoke. I am aslo really confused becasue so many people use the CX series and i havent heard any acctual stories of bad things happening to them, only people saying that they use some lower quality caps and such, i feel like lots of people are just hating on them becasue they are bias against Corsair for whatever reason. Now im not hating on any one who tells people these PSUs are bad, tiny_voices and vagabond I see you doing this alot, but I just dont uderstand why people hate them. Is it just the risk of somthng going wrong that turns people off?? anyways thanks if you acctualy read all of this and maybe you might have an answer. :)

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 4 points
  • memory company gets mega popular in psu market by using one of the best OEM and another good one to produce mid to high end power supplies with long warranty, good packaging and great build quality for less money than considerably worse offerings from competitors.
  • company goes on to have a full lineup with not one "bad" psu in it for a couple of years.
  • company starts making lower and lower end psus in more markets, but due to having said company's name on them, they are met with extreme praise, held in higher regard than better things from the competition for several years until that illusion is shattered.
  • the bubble has burst, too many sub standard (the standard this same company established years ago) series and the prices on them keep going up (see: CX, CX V2, current CX) and older series are replaced by inferior power supplies (TX ---> RM).
  • they became the popular brand, and it's cool to hate on the popular brand, especially when they give people some ammunition themselves with lowering overall quality and raising prices.
  • it is now as it has always been, corsair doesn't sell a single psu that is a hazard to your health or hardware, of course this doesn't mean we overlook the fact that their value proposition has only recently become somewhat good again with the RMi/RMx/HXi series, they're still not competitive with the CX/CSM series being priced the same as XFX TS bronze and CM VSM/EVGA GS respectively.
  • see EVGA's reputation in three years, mark my words. superflower's production capabilities are on a smaller scale and already we see a new EVGA series from HEC on the way lol......

so ends the drunken train-ride home version of the story of corsair in the psu market.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks that does a good job of clearing it up... sorta.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

They are decent psus. Some of the CX psus in the line up are priced more than the competition.

I'll just quote what Oklahoma wolf from JonnyGuru said:

It's not risky. The CX500 will not blow up, set one's curtains on fire, or start a riot through the downtown business core. It will not call down Cthulu to rain death and destruction throughout the land, or cause Donald Trump to actually get elected

It's a somewhat mediocre power supply performance wise, but it's not junk.

What does this mean? Its a decent psu pick it up if its priced correctly.

If theres a similar psu thats priced cheaper than I'd get it over this. Like the Rosewill Hive or Arc M series. Althouhh the Arc M hasn't had any reviews yet so I cant recommend with confidence.

Edit: Pls look at nickersons post down below. I'd still go with Hive/Arc M because Teapos are still decent. Japanese capacitors are considered the best.

• 54 months ago
  • 4 points

I keep coming across stuff talking about how crap the CX500(m) is

I don't think they are crap, just crap for their price which is different.

I really dont understan why people hate them so much and make them seem like even looking at one will make it blow up your house.

I don't hate it and I gave up on correcting people about its not going to blow up your house a while ago because every time I correct someone, two more people pop up saying it.

Now im not hating on any one who tells people these PSUs are bad, tiny_voices and vagabond I see you doing this alot

I never call it bad, just not good, there are tons of things between bad and good.

• 54 months ago
  • 3 points

I am aslo really confused becasue so many people use the CX series and i havent heard any acctual stories of bad things happening to them.

You've obviously never seen my multiple rants about them then. I bought one in march for my new build. I'd been out of the computer building scene for a while so I didn't know any of the products that were out. I came here and signed up and set up a build. I saw a cheap 5 star PSU and thought I'd grab it while I could. Many members of this site warned me and I chose to ignore them. with about 3 hours gaming a day on a GTX 970 the CX started to scream like it was really struggling. Then all of a sudden only 1 month after I built the pc it turns itself off mid session. The CX had killed itself. Luckily it didn't take anything with it but after being warned and then experiencing that I would never suggest someone buy those cheap *** pieces of crap.

Now you've heard an actual story from an actual person who owned an actual CX PSU. They are ****.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Well tiny_voices (who the hell? Never seen this guy on the site) and vagabond aren't completely wrong. Now the CX series isn't total crap, but they certainly aren't good especially for the price. They have sub par capacitors and a max operating temperature of 30 degrees Celsius. I have a CX600m that ran my build for about a year with no problems, so I can say it isn't total crap, its not going to explode and light your house on fire, but with the excellent PSUs XFX and evga currently have theres really no reason to recommend a CX PSU atleast for a high end gaming rig because if your building a high end rig why the hell are you looking at a budget PSU in the first place? And I personally do not have any beef with corsair.

• 54 months ago
  • 3 points

They have sub par capacitors and a max operating temperature of 30 degrees Celsius.

This is the misinformation that drives the hate for the CX series. For one the CX series uses Japanese main caps and Taiwanese secondaries, all from reputable companies. Second the temperature of 30C is not the units' max operating temperature. It is the continuous operating temperature rating because Corsair rates all their power supplies as 100,000 hours before failure. The CX series is listed as normal operating temps of 0-50C.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

ya, one good cap and a bunch of sub par caps.... and 30c is too low of a rating for a high end game system if you care about longevity, especially when theres many out there rated at 50c with all top end caps for similar prices. It is essentially a low end psu for a good brand and has no business being used with a $1000 system or especially trusing a $1000 gpu to it... for a budget system they can be a great deal though, when they go on those rediculous sales they have often...

• 54 months ago
  • 4 points

The Taiwanese caps used are not sup par. That whole notion come from the capacitor plague of the early 2000's. Even reviews, such as Oklahoma Wolf, realize that times have changed. Even brands like Antec will use Taiwanese caps on the secondary side.

As far as the temperature 30C is to low if you are talking about larger power supplies. On reason the CX series over the CX500 make no sense. However for builds that can comfortably use a 500W PSU the power supply should not reach much over 30C unless you have a set up that is taking hot air from the case and running it through the power supply. Even then the unit, save for the CX750, is not going to have a problem other then perhaps some reduced life.

I do agree that top end system you should not find a CX. Again simply because over the CX500 the series make no sense.

Thing is other companies have different ways to rate temperature, if they even do. Seasonic will rate units at 50C, but if you check their site you will find that they are only rated to deliver 100% power at 40C and 80% at 50C.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

At some price points/categories, the CX series appears more favorable or better especially when they are on sale. Although right now there are psus with similar internals they are $5-$10 cheaper.

• 54 months ago
  • 3 points

true. mostly in some markets outside the US and UK the CX present a good value vs alot of other psu series. if the prices roll back a few bucks to when the CX V2 was selling that would help. I installed dozens of CX500/430 units in non gaming and low power gaming builds with very few problems. and get rid of the CX750. I can't make any type of case for that one it sucks for a 750 watt. if you need that much power you're doing something wrong looking at low end psu anyway.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

ya, those 430-500w units are awesome for a non gaming system when they are on sale for $20-30... which is often enough, its the regular price thats absurd even though the sales usually blow away the ultra low end competition as well. You know a sale is good when even a Logisys or HEC cant compete with the price of it...

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Well tiny_voices (who the hell? Never seen this guy on the site)

Same for me, I was wondering who he was myself.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

He goes around on the completed builds ,and corrects peoples power suply mistakes. He offers solid advice.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

he's a mod over at tomshardware, I see him quite frequently there.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Btw where does the the 30C operating temp come from? I looked at the post on everclock.net but I couldn't find the source.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Well that is a bit disappointing. Dont know how I missed that.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Its weird because the website also says its 40c continuous.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/builder-series-cx600

Second bullet, but that could be marketing mistake.

• 54 months ago
  • -1 points

If they were bad nobody would buy them.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

You see people buying like AS5 still, people still buy sub parts just due to brand.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

ya, brand and lack of knowledge. AS5 is still fine... but its best used on other things like sticking heatsinks to dimm chips on a custom project as opposed to using it on a new i7, because these days the i7 has MUCH better options. Likewise, the CX is still good for many purposes like cheap family or office systems, but you should not use it on a high end gamer system that will see it stressed... yet people buy them all the time for the wrong use.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube