add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I replace all of my case fans?

rhypht

50 months ago

I'm going to be doing a build in an NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed Edition case. It comes with 3 NZXT fans: a 200mm in the front, a 200mm in the top, and a 140mm in the back.

I plan on taking the front 200mm and putting it in the other 200mm slot on top for a dual 200mm configuration. I'm going to replace it in the front with two 140mm fans, so that one blows directly on the 3 hard drives mounted there, and the other will blow straight into the center of the case. Finally, I'm going to mount another 140mm fan on the inside hinge mount, blowing on either the GPU or CPU.

My question is, when buying the extra case fans I need, should I go with NZXT or a specific brand? And in that case, should I replace all of the stock NZXT fans as well? Or does it not matter as much?

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

don't stick to brands for the sake of matching brands. in this case it's an especially bad idea as NZXT fans plainly all suck. maybe that's a bit harsh, but they don't make any "good" fan vs what you can get from a dozen other companies for the same prices.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I guess when I buy the additional 140s for my case, I won't worry about getting NZXT. But I'm not really in a big rush to replace the NZXT fans that I already have. Maybe down the line if I find that they are too loud/inefficient I suppose I could replace them all with a better brand.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

some brands that typically have good fans are coolermaster, be quiet (pricey), cougar, noctua (pricey), phanteks, silenx, noiseblocker (pricey), nidec servo (pricey), corsair, xigmatek, arctic, bitfenix. also thermaltake and fractal design have some nice fans.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't have to stick with NZXT.

While NZXT fans are not the best money can buy... they are not terrible either.

For the new fans I would look for fan review round up's and pick a brand that seems to balance noise with performance with cost the best to you. I normally go with Corsair, they cost less than Noctua, and typically perform ok.

Then replace the NZXT's later if you decide you hate them.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I think the noise would be the biggest factor, but I don't know how loud they are yet.

The case is pretty large, so I don't think that insufficient airflow will be too much of an issue (especially with 3 additional 140s).

I've heard a lot of good about Nocuta. When I get my extra 140s, I will check them out. Do they have different series of the same size fans?

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube