add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do It All PC (Gaming, CAD, Web Browsing)

Andy87
  • 56 months ago

Hello everyone, I am brand new here and am looking to build my first computer. I'd like to start by saying that I am a complete newb to computer building. I am a design engineer and would like to build a computer capable of running AutoCAD and Solidworks as well as play games on high settings.

I already have a keyboard, mouse and monitors. I will be running a triple monitor 1080p setup so I need a GPU that will push the three monitors at 1080p on high settings. I'd like the GPU to have 3 display ports as I don't want to mess around with adapters (not sure if that is really a big deal or not). The games that I play are typically FPS and Iracing.

As for the CAD side of this I would only be using one monitor and I would have email and web browser opened on the other monitors. I won't be using large assemblies very often, file sizes are typically > 5mb. Can I buy a good gaming GPU and an entry level professional card and have them coexist within the system? Or will a gaming GPU be good enough for light to medium CAD use? What do you guys suggest?

I am a bang for the buck kind of guy, I don't need the best of the best. My max budget is $1,500, but would much prefer to have it closer to $1,000 if I can get a decent machine for that. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $242.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T4 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler $19.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $83.89 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $78.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card $329.99 @ NCIX US
Case Thermaltake Versa H34 ATX Mid Tower Case $63.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1009.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-01 10:06 EDT-0400
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $242.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $94.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $87.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card $329.98 @ SuperBiiz
Case NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $84.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $159.99 @ Mac Mall
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $93.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1224.58
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-01 10:14 EDT-0400
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Can I buy a good gaming GPU and an entry level professional card and have them coexist within the system?

Unfortunately, not without unsupported software hacks.

Or will a gaming GPU be good enough for light to medium CAD use?

For most AudoDesk applications, GeForce drivers have historically been very good, especially since AutoDesk has migrated most of their viewports to directX.

What do you guys suggest?

Tough call... Solidworks has been developed around firepro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeHei6qmzM0

Depending on what features you want to be able to use in the solidworks viewport, a firepro may be more or less a requirement.

Unfortunately, the only firepro that's going to even be in the ballpark of being able to run 3X1080P for modern gaming would be the W8100 (R9 290 equivalent). Last I checked, those are around $1000. That's sort of silly, considering that if you're only using 1X1080P monitor and relatively small projects in Solidworks, a W4100 ($160) would be more than adequate. In otherwords, you wind up paying a ~$700 packaging premium to get the functionality and render throughput you want combined in the same machine.

I think my suggestion would be to build a gaming computer with an R9 390, and a work computer with a W4100.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the info, very helpful.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube