add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Broserperior
  • 54 months ago

ok so... im getting a pc with a pentium g3258/gtx 750 ti/gtx 950 so it doesnt use up much watts. im getting an 80+ or 80+ bronze psu. im confused. For instance, an 80 Plus, 520 watt supply could still be 70% or less efficient at 60 watts (a typical idle power for a desktop computer) Thus it is still important to select a supply with capacity appropriate to the device being powered. ???

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm a bit confused on what you are asking.

Are you asking for a wattage recommendation, or a power supply recommendation.

Maybe I'm just being blind.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

umm i dont know im confused about this myself. if i get a larger power supply does that mean more power will be burnt off/wasted instead of going to the parts? will the seasonic 520w 80+ bronze be good? will no power be wasted?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Say you buy a 1000w power supply, for a build that will only consume 500w. Only 500w will come out of the power supply. Power isn't "being lost".

What county are you in?

What Seasonic psu? They have a lot of 80+ bronze units.

The 80+ unit doesn't determine the quality of the unit, just how efficient it is.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

no like, say you get a 500w power supply and you only need 350w for your system. the rest will be wasted. 80+ units save money on your bill. also, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

[comment deleted]
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Typically, you want your peak load to be from 60-80%. So lets say your peak load when playing games is 300w. Then you want a psu that supplies 500w(60% load) - 375w(80% load).

80+ ratings refer to how efficient a psu is. For example a 80+ bronze rated psu has an efficiency rating of 85% or better at 50% load. Therefore I recommend a psu that supplies 450w or better on the 12v rail.

When you look at psus take the amounts of amps on the 12v rail and multiple by 12 and you hsould get the rated wattage it can pullf rom that rail. Lets say the 12v rail has 42 amps, this means it can pull 502w.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

the 12v rail has 40 amps on this power supply, so it can pull 480 watts from the wall

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

wrong. the 12v rail has 40 amps, so it can provide 480 watts to components on the +12v. that would pull 564 watts from the wall if the psu is bronze and operating at peak efficiency. since a psu is not at peak efficiency when loaded 100%, it's more like 480 watts on a bronze rated psu will pull 580+ watts from the wall.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

564 watts? would it pull less if i got a lower capacity?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

The efficiency is what affects ''wasted power'' since your power supply pulls more than it's rated power from the wall to achieve the rated power.

If a PSU is 80% efficient then to deliver you 500W then it will pull 625W from the wall.

What you find is that even 80% bronze PSUs will have a sweet spot of power use where it is more efficient overall but 80% is the minimum efficiency it will achieve.

Thus when idle at 60W for example you would only pull 75W.

The upper rating has nothing to do with it other than most PSUs in my experience are more efficient when over 50% load so when you are gaming it is better to be using more than half of the rated power but that wont be true in all cases I am sure.

Also any modern PSU will only use the power it needs at the time so you don't simply pull the max and waste what isn't used, if it needs 300W it will pull the 375W it needs from the wall and that is it.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

so should i get a lower capacity power supply or higher capacity?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go low on your build unless you expect to do big upgrades.

What units are you actually considering?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

i dont know right now other than the 520w seasonic, but evga 500w, evga 430w, other units maybe i dont know

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd only consider the Seasonic from that selection. If you want cheap and low power the antec earthwatts range are great, even the 380W would be plenty for you.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

what do the earthwatts do?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

400w+ But you can find deals where it maybe $5 more for 50watts etc. If you are expecting to upgrade in the future then it wuldnt be bad to go for it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube