add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinion on OCZ Z Series 850W power supply

samsone
  • 54 months ago

Hi guys,

A friend of mine kindly gave me his OCZ Z Series 850W power supply. So, now, I have a 80+ gold 850 watts power supply (for free!!!).

I searched about this power supply on the web and found the following relevant reviews:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=167

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ocz-z-series-850-w-power-supply-review/10/

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341026

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page1373.htm

After reading that, I think this is a pretty good power supply, but I want your feed back to be sure.

For sure, for zero dollar, the price is not an issue, but I'm way more worry about reliability and durability...

Am I better off to pay about 145 Canadian Dollars for an EVGA SuperNova G2 750W?

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a decent PSU. Its also old. What are your components for your build? The evga g2 is an awesome PSU. Great price, but you got the ocz for free. Why did your friend change psus? Is another question I have to ask.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

The reviews don't find anything wrong with it. Take that with the price, I see no reason not to take it and use it.

If not you can send it to me!

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

If not you can send it to me!

Nice try... I will keep it for me... :-P

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

My friend bought that OCZ power supply in 2012. He built a Bitcoin mining rig with it. I don't remember all the details about his Bitcoin mining rig, but it has 2 video cards and it have been up and running 24/7 for a year. My friend measured the power usage between the wall plug and the power supply. At full load, his mining rig consumed about 350 watts.

After a year of Bitcoin mining, my friend stopped mining, he sold the two video cards and he kept the power supply in case he needed it later. But, a full year has pass and my friend didn't reuse his power supply.

So, now that I'm planning to build a new computer, my friend offers me his power supply because knows his power supply will be more useful for me than for him.

Talking about my build, I plan to build something like that:

• 1x Xeon E3-1276 V3
  • 1x Noctua NH-U12S (120mm fan)
  • 1x Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
  • 4x 8GB DDR3 (1.5 Volts)
  • 1x Radeon R7 360
  • 1x SATA SSD (OCZ Vertex 3 240GB)
  • 4x SATA 7200RPM HDD
  • 1x DVD writer
  • 1x 140mm case fan
  • 1x 120mm case fan
  • 1x 80mm case fan
  • 1x USB mouse
  • 1x USB keyboard

I will try to keep the best uptime (ideally 24/7 95%+)

At some moments, I will plug some USB keys and digital cameras. My motherboard and case will allow me to plug at most 8 USB devices at the same time (including my keyboard and mouse), so very rarely up to 6 other USB devices can be plug at the same time.

I used eXtreme Power Supply Calculator in expert mode to calculate the power consumption of my build and in the worst case scenario (6 USB devices + 100% CPU + 24/7), I will need 400 watts and eXtreme Power Supply Calculator recommended me a 450 watts power supply.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

@griffscavern: I guess only one year of 24/7 350 watts usage is not too harmful for a decent 850 watts 80+ gold PSU. Am I wrong?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

No not harmful at all. Running that low of wattage put very little ware on the unit.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope. It should be just fine. I'd just use that one. Shouldn't be any worries. I didn't know you had replied. This site you have to use the reply button on my post so I get a message.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube