add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
sidders54
  • 56 months ago

Hi all

Am looking to build a budget gaming PC for my son. He doesn't play intensive games (Turbo Dismount, Police Force 2) but would like to build something with some grunt so he can play the more intensive games as he gets older.

I was considering the FX range for processor purely on a cost basis but would prefer Intel i3/i5. Also will need monitor and OS

Cheers

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a tough budget to manage, but this is about as good as the performance will get with it. The Athlon 860k is a much newer processor than the FX series is, and the socket it is on isn't dead like the am3+ socket is. It'll perform on par with the fx4300 at a much lower price point.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor £55.03 @ Scan.co.uk
Motherboard ASRock FM2A88M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard £41.86 @ Scan.co.uk
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £32.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £34.74 @ Aria PC
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card £121.99 @ Ebuyer
Case Thermaltake Versa H23 ATX Mid Tower Case £26.50 @ Aria PC
Power Supply SeaSonic ECO 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £29.99 @ Scan.co.uk
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) £67.95 @ Ebuyer
Monitor BenQ GW2265HM 60Hz 21.5" Monitor £88.99 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £500.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-02 22:52 BST+0100
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Under budget and offers REALLY badass performance due to the R9 280.

Seriously. Pick up this card first and now. The deal is amazing.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor £55.03 @ Scan.co.uk
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DS2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard £40.76 @ Amazon UK
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory £30.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £34.74 @ Aria PC
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 380 2GB Video Card £119.99 @ Amazon UK
Case Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case £27.95 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply £37.81 @ CCL Computers
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) £67.95 @ Ebuyer
Monitor Hannspree HE225DPB 21.5" Monitor £78.91 @ More Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £494.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-02 22:59 BST+0100

This processor is comparable to most i3s with the benefits of extra cores. It overclocks very well, esp if you later invest in an aftermarket tower cooler.

And in a head to head comparison to the 950/750 Ti suggested above, the 380 will solidly dominate both of them.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I was going to do I a build but when I checked back you ended up doing the same as I had. Though I would change the monitor to the benq one.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. Think i will go with this spec. Do you know if the motherboard requires a BIOS update to ensure compatibility with 860K?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you might have a bios update to do.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you might have a bios update to do.

I think even with the fx line you need one too.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Use an a68 board to avoid updates. Msi grenade is my weapon of choice and its £2 cheaper :)

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Do they have overclocking ?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

You can overclock on them, whether the yields would be amazing I am not sure. But then I am not sure how well the 88x would do either, it's main strength usually being crossfire support. However the main issue here is the bios update which is best avoided unless you want a trip to a PC repair shop or want to buy a chip that can post the board.

Given it already has turbo to 4.1GHz the chip doesn't really need much more from overclocking anyway.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Really depends on how long ago the board in question was made. I suggested that board because higher probability of being a newer make.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube