add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
190n
  • 54 months ago

So what's the deal with the Corsair CX series PSUs? What's bad about them? Are they good value?

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 3 points

What's bad about them?

Mediocre performance and build quality with the CX 430/500/600/750 and with the 750 watt model it will shut off a little over 40C and they are usually always overpriced.

Are they good value?

Anything but good value, without MiR's they have awful value in the US.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, the PSU is rated to run continuously, at full load, at 40°C. It doesn't "shut off" at 40°C. Only at full load. It can actually run upwards of 50°C if not at full load.

• 54 months ago
  • 3 points

The series starts good with the CX430 and CX430M, the performance for the price drops quickly as you go up the line with the CX750 simply not being a good power supply at all.

Save for the CX750, nothing is bad about them. It is simply that right now there are better built units for about the same prices.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Amazing how little people on PCPP know about PSU's. Rivaled only by Tom's Hardware and Linus Tech Tips. I'd seriously like to know where you get your data from if your conclusion is the best CX is the 430W and that the CX750 is simply not a good PSU.

The 430, 500 and 600W are all based on the same platform.

The 750W and 850W are actually based on a BETTER platform with DC to DC for the non-primary rails.

That said: The CX is a price point PSU. It's not made for performance. It's made for price. And the segment where CX resides, there's a lot of competition and many of them willing to make their entry level models loss leaders. But fact of the matter is: If someone wants a reliable PSU that will provide years of good performance and protection for their other components, they really shouldn't be looking at this price point at all.

• 54 months ago
  • 3 points

I'd seriously like to know where you get your data from if your conclusion is the best CX is the 430W and that the CX750 is simply not a good PSU.

He's just stating that the price to performance ratio drops the higher you go up in wattage. The higher the wattage the more expensive.

Amazing how little people on PCPP know about PSU's

There are some very intelligent people on this sight, believe it or not, and m52nickerson is a knowledgeable person.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

He does say that, but he also says that the CX750 is simply not a good PSU. The CX750 is a completely different PSU than the lower wattages, however.

I'm interested to hear what alternatives to the CX750 someone on here might suggest at that price point.

And I'm not questioning the general knowledge of present company. I'm questioning the band wagon mentality people have on this site, as well as the others mentioned, when it comes to power supplies. Should I expect a "tier list" to pop up some time this year?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Everyone here, I think, belives the tier list(the toms one or anyone for that matter) is just a load of crap.

It just didn't make sense for corsair to relase the 750 and 850w models because there are better units at that price point.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Like?

You can say "it doesn't make sense" for them to release such a product, but it's been out for years and is probably Corsair's best seller selling 10's of thousands of units per month. Most of the units that people claim are "better for the money" don't have the DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V making them incompatible with the C6 and C7 sleep states. This is actually a cost adder that increases the cost of the unit. Always be skeptical when a vendor says something is "Haswell compatible" when it doesn't have DC to DC and doesn't show up in Intel's "tested" list. Also, keep in mind that pricing is up to the reseller. It varies by region and reseller.

As for the tier list: You'd be surprised. I have someone pop into the forums at JG.com asking "where's that tier list" and I would expect someone willing to venture into that mine field would know better than to ask such a question.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Everyone here, I think, belives the tier list(the toms one or anyone for that matter) is just a load of crap.

I still see too many people reference it still unfortunately.

• 54 months ago
  • 0 points

There are some very intelligent people on this sight, believe it or not, and m52nickerson is a knowledgeable person.

You do know who jonnyguru is right?

• 54 months ago
  • 4 points

Of course I do.

It still doesn't give him the right to belittle someone.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

+1

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

You're right. I don't mean to belittle. I watched the live stream with the Corsair guys today and the other one that was done on Friday at Corsair HQ and the discussion was so full of fan boys from other companies that I have to question the motivation of some people.

• 54 months ago
  • 3 points

Amazing how little people on PCPP know about PSU's.

Check my post history. I'm literally one of the people at defend the CX line from those who say they are total crap.

I'd seriously like to know where you get your data from if your conclusion is the best CX is the 430W and that the CX750 is simply not a good PSU.

Price to their performance. It is hard to beat the CX430 at the price it sits at. CX500 there are a few options at that price that have better reviews. The CX600, well their are even more quality units at the same price point.

The CX750 did not get a great review from your own site and a worse review from Hardocp. Considering there are a lot better options for that price, it is not a good choice.

If someone wants a reliable PSU that will provide years of good performance and protection for their other components, they really shouldn't be looking at this price point at all.

I don't think this is correct at all since you can find good quality power supplies from the likes of Seasonic at around some of the price points the CX units are at.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Seasonic does have some great low cost units (if you can tolerate the coil whine). But none of them are C6/C7 compatible.

Corsair does a lot of business with SI's and they like to combine high end parts with low end PSUs. Unfortunately, when they're marketing bulletpoints, they call out what CPU, what GPU, how much RAM, how much storage.... but when's the last time you saw a PSU called out in a build's marketing? It's cringe-worthy. I see it in forums some times where a guy is building a Haswell-E with a Titan and is looking at a CX PSU... but with SI's it happens ALL of the time. Digital Storm uses CX. Komplett uses VS. Uggh! So Corsair has to tweak the product to suit those customers as well as try to hit a price point for Joe Enduser. Sure, you can disable C6/C7 sleep states (or one some boards, just don't set the BIOS to energy saving mode), but SI's are worried about shipping the product to the end user, the end user changing some things in the BIOS (like enabling low sleep states) and having to call their support. Heaven forbid they use a better, all around PSU like an EVGA G2 or a Corsair RMx. That would cut into their profit margins. :(

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Seasonic does have some great low cost units (if you can tolerate the coil whine). But none of them are C6/C7 compatible.

I don't find supporting the Haswell sleep states a convincing argument for a lot of desk top builds. With more and more people using SSDs as OS drives you can disable sleep altogether and simply turn your PC off when not in use. Booting it back up takes little time at all.

As far as the rest of your post, I agree that the CX line has gotten a bad rap. As I said I'm one of the people that defend the CX series against people that claim it is crap.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not a convincing argument for me either.... But, like I said, we're talking about SI's and lowest common denominator customers. When trying to appease a broad audience or be "everything to everyone", lots of things aren't going to jive with some people.

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't know how I found this, but I got a chuckle from it.

The flames though are a complete exaggeration.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

from the comment section:

"I'm rocking a Thermalfake 850w smart PSU, It works good, I was gonna get a CX but looking at the failure rate scared me away :)"

"this... this is the most beautiful video ever. my new lord"

"yes,but Corsai>>>>>>>Itek"

"Tier three power supplies aren't that good for high end systems anyway. They are very nice for low end builds though."

"I've got the Corsair RM750i, according to the PSU tier graph mine is Tier2a (Good) Referencing; http://i.imgur.com/tgrbCnr.jpg"

"Was it a good idea to replace a 500w PSU that came with my $40 case with an EVGA 600B that I got for $38?"

"I always thought the CX series was great, then when I went to my buddies house i witnessed his PC short out first hand because of his CX series PSU. Ever since then I've been hearing bas stuff from that product line. EVGA power supplies all the way."

"Here I am sitting with a 3 year old CX 500 powering a 4.5GHz 2500k with a 7970, have not had a single issue thus far. Point is, don't believe some poorly thrown togehter video that provides no facts at all."

enough of that.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I see it in forums some times where a guy is building a Haswell-E with a Titan and is looking at a CX PSU

I die a little inside when that happens. No idea why people think you should use a maybe at best $70 psu with probably 2K worth of hardware.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Totally off topic, but do you know when the RMx series is going to be released?

I noticed that it was in stock at NCIX, but no other stores.

Or am I just stupid and it's already been released.

I'm stupid

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

it's out man. been out. you're probably just looking on pcpp and they haven't added the newegg links.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

jonnyguru, what Seasonic models are you referring to?

I'm working on a parts list for my parents, and am mostly considering Seasonic PSUs. (Also the 550-watt EVGA that got a 10 score on JG is a possibility, but a bit over budget, and about 3x more wattage than the anticipated build, using an i5-6500 and iGPU, is currently expected to use.)

Some SS models I'm looking at are the SSP-300ST or SSP-350ST (but one vendor says they only have 1x sata & 1x molex connector), the SS-300ET, SS-350ET or SS-400ET (but no claims to Haswell compatibility, and a few minutes ago I saw one of them mentioned in a forum post on JG from 2008, also being able to hibernate/sleep is good so those may be out, even though they have enough connectors), the SSP-450RT (gold, the others are bronze).

All the above are OEM units, and I haven't found any reviews done by the JG site (OklahomaWolf). Also the short cable lengths are a concern, as we'd be using a bottom-PSU-mounted case like the Xion XON-360, NZXT Source 210 Elite, Fractal Design Core 1500 or Arc Mini 2, or something like that.

Other SeaSonics I'm considering are the S12II 350 or 430 watt, G-series 360 or 450 watt, or S12G-450.

Are there any good, low-power (250 to 400 watt) units around the prices of those OEM Seasonic units that get close to a 10 score on JG? (I'd be willing to sacrifice modularity, and a "0-3" or so on aesthetics would be fine.)

Also for my parents who are typical home users, would 80+ Bronze be sufficient or 80+ Gold be better in the long term for electricity $ savings? (The current rate here I think is 29¢/kWh, and knowing SDG&E is likely to go up.) They're likely to keep the computer for 5 to 7 years, I'm guessing. They're lighter users than me, and right now the Kill-A-Watt my Corsair AX760 (through a power strip which also includes a Dell U2414H monitor) is plugged into is telling me it's drawing about 83 watts. (It's powering an i7-4790K, ASRock Z97 Extreme6, 3x 4TB HDDs & a few other light things, no discrete GPU though.)

Maybe we should just go for a 500-watt Hercules or Allied/Deer. (just kidding! :D) Okay I'll confess I'm looking forward to the next "gutless wonder" review ... maybe one that explodes violently enough to shatter the outer casing just on the standby load? :p

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

That said: The CX is a price point PSU. It's not made for performance. It's made for price.

I honestly have to disagree!!! Take as an example this 2 PSU. Both are 750 watts, semi-modular but i would go with the EVGA which is superior any day.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-110b20750vr

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx750m

I believe Corsair needs to be more aggressive with the prices. All of their good stuff are overpriced and people are buying other ones like EVGA. Im pretty sure EVGA has made a dent on corsair PSU sales....Selling equal quality and sometimes even better at lower prices and let's not talk about the 10 year warranty. Nothing against corsair as I have many corsair products myself. And i still believe corsair has one of the best customer service!!

BTW, nice to see you in the forums!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

In your links, the CX is $5 cheaper and that's before the $10 MIR.

But I do agree that the B2 is a better unit. EVGA is really aggressive with their pricing. Yes.. Corsair can be more aggressive, but they also have to make money. Everyone in the industry knows that EVGA isn't profitable; so the assumption is that they're showing cash flow so they can go public. More power to them. The more competitive pricing means that the consumer wins with better products at lower prices. But be careful... we all know what happened to the last company that gave away product with no markup (cough OCZ cough).

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Everyone in the industry knows that EVGA isn't profitable...

I don't know, the Power supplies are cheap, but it is not like their graphic cards or any of the rest of their products are on the cheaper side.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't say the graphics cards were cheap. I said they weren't profitable. The reason why all of these graphics cards companies are diversifying into other categories is because the profit margin on graphics cards is only about 8%. The only people really making any money is Nvidia and the comnpanies that can actually make their own cards.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

So i bought a corsair cx430 for the start of my build and I've had a hard time deciding if i need to upgrade this to a higher watt psu for my build as i add on parts in the future when i can buy them. My build right now is a

intel i5 4690k(not overclocked) intel B85-HD3 mobo XFX r9 380 4gb video card WD BLue 1tb drive 3 case fans 8gb ripjaws x series 1600mhz and an ASUS optical drive

I really need to know if my CX430 is good enough to supply my system without overclocking the cpu or gpu or will i need to upgrade that too?

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Sorry the CX430 is not going to work with the XFX R9 380 4GB. For one the XFX card requires two 6 pin power connectors. The CX430 does not have two 6 pin power connectors. It has one 6+2 pin power connector. Second, you really need at least a 500W power supply you build.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I got the Cx850m and was going to change it with everyone ranting on about how it was not the best quality and it could blow up you PC, but running 10months now and no issues, come to think of it i had a CoolMax running for 4years and that was fine, threw it out months ago after garage clean up.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=427

The CX850M is not a bad supply. It handles heat pretty well. The CX750 is the unit out the of CX line that can't handle higher temps.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah i read up about it on all the forums and reviews. Well i picked up my 850 for $150 AU which wasnt bad at the same price as my OCZ 750w. Yeah the Cx750 and Cx600 i think it was, didnt have good reviews. But then again most of it is biased. I also know alot of people with Silverstone strider PSU, dont know much about them.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm planning on replacing my CX750M shortly. I hear it's fine for single 970 & 390s but nothing really higher. I should have looked into it a bit more before buying but it was one of those "I need it today" deals and yes it was bought at Best Buy under their "pc gaming" section. Might look into EVGA Supernova 1k though not sure yet.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly they are not a bad line of PSUs. Everyone on every forum for some reason is always ranting about how the CX series is crap and will blow up your PC. It's really not going to. I have a 750M and it's been running extremely well for around 6 months. I have a G3258 at 4.4GHz and an R9 390. I sleeved all the cables and actually shorted out the GPU once. I just had to flip the switch on the back of the PSU and the thing saved my computer. I was amazed that I didn't blow something out. But for the most part they are over priced. Unless you catch it on sale like I did, I would buy a different PSU.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Why would you run a Pentium with a 390? That's certainly a bottleneck.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I had a 270X and it didn't perform anywhere near what I wanted in my games so I got the 390 and I was planning on upgrading to a 4690K as well. Just changing the 390 actually gave me a huge performance increase to where I'm perfectly happy with it! ~112 FPS in Bioshock Infinite, ~60 FPS in the Metro Redux series. Since it's good enough for me, I figured I'd wait a bit to buy the 4690K until it's cheaper.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have a microcenter near you, they go to as low as $180 at times.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube