add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this SeaSonic 520W PSU good enough for this build?

Gigabit
  • 54 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $19.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $92.98 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Storage Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $89.99
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card $317.93 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $64.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $65.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $926.85
Mail-in rebates -$60.00
Total $866.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-05 14:02 EDT-0400

Just like the title says, is this a good quality PSU that'll last me for years to come? Should I go for an EVGA PSU (I've seen some recommendations for that brand)? My budget is practically stretched to the limit, but I might compromise if I really need a better quality PSU.

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

it's alright. got a loud fan prfile. it's "loud for no reason, but otherwise good" psu day on the forum huehuehuehuehue. seriously, it'll work, but the XFX TS 550 bronze is a better version of the same platform (by seasonic) and doesn't sound as loud so go for that instead. in fact the 650 watt XFX TS is the same price as the S12II 520 and with that you could add a second GTX 970 for SLI. ) also, get a Z97 motherboard. why mATX in an ATX mid tower? thermaltake's V31 kick the 200R's but and can be bought cheaper.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Kinda tagging on here, why the 212 plus over the 212 evo? Unless you bought the cooler already, you should go for the Cryorig H7.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

The 212 plus just happens to be cheaper than the 212 evo. I'm not looking to spend a bundle on a cooler. If it cools reliably and is cheap, then that's what I'm going for. How does the Cryorig H7 compare?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait, so the XFX PSUs are from SeaSonic too then?

It just so happens that the board I chose was a mATX. I wasn't looking specifically at mobo sizes when making comparisons. May I ask, why a Z97? I understand it's newer, but unless it has some features I absolutely need, then I think the Z87 should be fine. I'd like to know what mobo you would suggest then because the one I choose is in a combo deal for an extra $25 off.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, seasonic is a big OEM and companies like corsair, xfx, antec, coolermaster, cyonic, evga, fractal design, silverpower and more sell power supplies designed and or made by seasonic. 100% of XFX psu's are seasonic, that's the only OEM they use AFAIK.

the mobo makes no sense. mostly Z87 boards need BIOS updates to even support your cpu and even then they typically don't run 100% seemlessly with the devil's canyon chips. it's not like the gryphon is cheap or anything. $140-$25 for the combo deal is $115 for a mATX board and you can find a bunch of Z97 boards for that price and lower. the question here should be "what's the advantage of a Z87 mATX board over a Z97 board with comparable vrm and newer features like M.2 if it isn't going to be less than $100?" to which the only realistic answer is "none". :) some Z97 boards for example:

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Fair enough. What z87 mobo exists that does run seamlessly with the devil's canyon chip? This is one issue I haven't heard of until now. I don't mind the bios updating, but if the combination is not fully compatible then I won't bother.

Also, what z97 mobo would you recommend? I've been reading through the reviews and a lot of the mobos seem to be unreliable or not have good placement. Also, what brands would you recommend? Is ASrock any good?

Sorry for asking all these question, I'm just trying to learn more before wasting my time and money on a bad quality mobo.

Also, thanks for the PSU information. I think I'll go with an XFX PSU at a comparable price then.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know which Z87 board runs well or don't with current BIOS. I tried the MVI Hero and MVIE (this extreme was bought open box though and the wifi didn't work either) and neither board could run the 4790k stable at stock (4ghz with 4.4ghz turbo). moved the chip into a Z97 Pro Gamer and it ran fine and overclocked fine. couldn't overclock at all in the Z87 Hero. after that I have not tried putting a devil's canyon cpu in a Z87 board.

Asrock is kind of meh with Z97. the extreme 6 is probably out of your price range and the extreme 4 has a widespread defect that caused many boards to fail outright.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, I see, thanks for the info. The Asus Gryphon that I want to buy also happens to have a $50 rebate going for it. I suppose I can take the risk and see how well it runs the CPU. Some folks in the reviews mentioned having a Haswell Refresh i7 overclocked running fine in the mobo. Guess we'll see what happens.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh wait, almost forgot to ask. So I've been looking at various XFX PSUs, including the ones you showed me. Which would you recommend if I wanted something quiet and reliable and if I plan to stick with just one GPU?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

low noise and reliability are somewhat at odds. no seasonic made psu is very "low noise" at typical loads above 30%, but some are better than others. the TS doesn't seem to be as bad as the S12II. the XTR is has a hybrid fan mode. if you really want something quiet, look at the coolermaster VSM 550/650 or the evga 500/650 G2. they cost a bit more, like $10-$20 more, but one, they're better, the G2 units much better, and they are some of the quietest psus in this range. with this system you could go very low and be fine. that model GTX970 is one of the least power hungry, not that any of them are much to consider under normal gaming loads, and the i5 + vrm power losses is also very low draw. as is the system you're getting would be in the optimal efficiency range with a 50 watt.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, considering a $70 price range (w/rebates) for a PSU, I chose the following: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply

Is that good or is there another you would recommend? I took a look at the EVGA PSUs, but G2 models are a tad too expensive.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube