add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Corsair 900D fan setup! need help

Proxxey

76 months ago

all right , i plan on buying this case and i need help on how i should do the fan setup. I chose a Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler which will take 2x 120mm fan slots(with the radiator) in the top panel. that means that i have 2 left that i can use up there.

The thing is , i only plan going watercooling probably in the very distant future(after i get money for 2 way sli) , but for now i will only take the simple "air flow" option. This means that , except the cpu radiator , i will not install any other radiators.

I plan on using the Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance fans or probably the silentwings 2 if i get a good deal on them. I am going to put 4x 120mm fans at the bottom, 2x 120mm fans at the top(besides the cpu fans of course) , and probably 2x 120mm fans at the side. This means that i will use every fan slot available. Is this configuration ok considering that i will not use any radiators for them ? I am certain the air flow will be more than enough , but somehow i wonder if it's worth it even though i won't use radiators.. any thoughts?

I also need a recommendation regarding the fan controller ...need a decent one that will take all these fans (don't forget that beside these there are also 3x 120 mm in the fron and 1x 140mm in the back included...in total there are 14 fans i believe). ( also not sure if i need a pwm splitter, as i am not sure if i will have enough fan powering slots )

Please take a look at the motherboard ( asus maximus VI formula ) and tell me how i should do all of the above.. seems i have 3 x Chassis Fan connectors and 3 x Optional Fan connectors...my head hurts already from all of this so i will wait for your help...

here is the rig in case you wonder what i need to cool : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1wNML

Thank you!

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Just the stock fans would of been enough to be honest with that CPU cooler. There's different RPM fans, make sure you pick the right one you want. I bought a PWM splitter and will just plug it onto my motherboard to adjust speed - no need for controllers.

Here's my buildlog for a watercooled 900D in the making; http://www.overclock.net/t/1420772/build-log-marcus-900d-eunomia , post any questions you have left on there if you want more pictures or personal experienced replies. I'll be posting more pictures sometime this week after I receive a shipment.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

what a beast...

• 76 months ago
  • 0 points

Dat blue RAM on the M6 Formula T_T

But back to the point, you can safely connect 4 or so Corsair fans to the chassis. Probably more but I wouldn't feel safe doing more without a splitter that has a dedicated molex/SATA power PSU connection.

Honestly though, and you already sort of have this feeling, I don't think that so many fans is worth it. Especially not the extra 2 top fans. And I'm not actually sure what you'd be cooling with the 4 bottom fans (unless they can face inwards instead of sideways; I don't know).

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah i know about the ram lol , it was picked for another motherboard that i afterwards changed into the formula : ) and i didn't get the chance to change em. for the bottom fans , i wanted to improvise something that would direct the air as you said , but now that i think better i believe there is no point if no radiator is to be installed ( i guess ill just put em there in the future when i go watercooling). the whole point of using every fan slot was for OPTIMUM air flow , but i guess i can sacrifice some :)

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I just don't see the point in blowing air into nothing - what are you gonna cool, your side panel xD? Unless you've got a whole RAID array in the basement that's spinning at max rpm 24/7..

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 76 months ago
  • 1 point

it is way too expensive even though i like the room it offers ...still , 900D is a SEXY looking beast

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube