add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which windows 10 is better optimized for gaming (please help)

MrGamerNaut
  • 56 months ago

There are some different windows 10 versions and I don't know what each one is really for. Plus, some of them cost money and I don't know if the free or paid ones are any different.

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure what you mean by "free version" of Windows 10. Unless you belong to an institution which worked out a deal with Microsoft, a new copy of Windows 10 is never free*. You can upgrade for free from Windows 7 or 8 (until July 29, 2016), but if you're building a computer from scratch, you're going to have to get that copy of 7/8, and those aren't free either. In some cases, you may be able to transfer the OS from an old computer; I'd look into that if you have an existing Windows machine.

What I am aware of: OEM versions are a bit more restrictive than home versions, and are intended to be installed on and tied to one machine forever by the manufacturer. Microsoft keeps on flip-flopping on whether it wants custom builders to count as a manufacturer. They'll probably work, but retail versions cost only a little bit more, and are much more flexible about how they're used.

Also, the Pro versions have certain features intended for certain lines of professional work, often related to server maintenance and such. You can probably just use the Home version, because the Pro features will never affect you unless you're doing very specific kinds of IT/computational work.

So, the short version: get a Home version of 7/8/10, probably a retail version (sometimes marketed as 32/64 bit), and if you get 7/8, be sure to upgrade before July 29. No matter what, it'll probably be costing you at least ~$85.

*Unless you pirate it, I suppose. Not a big fan of that.

EDIT: One thing which may have been confusing you: if PC Part Picker cannot find a price for something (none of its vendors are currently selling it), it just leaves the price blank.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help. As for the "EDIT", I said "free" because there was no price tag shown on some of the windows 10 operating systems so I thought it meant free, thanks for helping me understand that part.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube