add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinions on rig for the GF

Evitative
  • 56 months ago

Hey guys so Im building a rig for the gf and she wants to build it on a budget. Any thoughts? Suggestion? Thanks a lot! :D

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/H7MF23

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

So, that motherboard's a bit old, you'll need to perform a BIOS update there but, if its already purchased, i guess it will do the job...

-The GTX 960, its a pretty good card, but for 30$ cheaper, the R9 380 outperforms it...

the rest looks pretty good!

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea I got that on clearance, and had Memory Express update it for me. I think its got the features we need. We will be getting a micro/mini itx anyway so not a lot of expansion can be done. Yea we'll probably go with the 380 since its actually on sale, hopefully til the weekend.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Like questionmaster said, unless you already have a Haswell chip sitting around to install on the motherboard and do a bios update, you will want to just purchase a Haswell chip instead of haswell refresh (devils canyon).

I dislike seagate drives with something approaching a passion. Go with western digital caviar blue, the difference cannot be that great.

The PSU ends up in the meerly okay camp. It's hard to go wrong with EVGA, but this wasn't their best work. For help selecting a PSU I recommend a database found here: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page2293.htm. I recommend selecting PSU'S that are really well reviewed by Johnny Guru. I would expect to spend closer to $100(CAD) for real high end protection.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Im a bit lost on the first part there. A Haswell chip would be the CPU right? and what is the Haswell refresh?

Yea well probably get the WD its not that big of a difference in the price anyway, and Ive never had any problem with my WD HDD.

Alright Ill have a look at the PSU's. EVGA is my brand when it comes to PSU's, and ill probably look at a full modular since its gonna be hard to wire a non modular on small CPU. Thanks for the input sir!

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm a bit lost on the first part there.

Yeah, the CPU. The Chipset (motherboards) that came out with Haswell Refresh are H97 or Z97. If it is some chipset other than that (like the H81 chipset board you already have), then there MIGHT be compatibility issues with Haswell Refresh. The refresh chip will undoubted BE supported by the motherboard, but maybe not without a Bios update to do so. They don't update the Bios of existing stock, heck, I don't even think they update the Bios if they do a new production run. I think they just call that board V2 or some such. Sometimes they release new "older" chipset boards. In which case it would be possible to have support for a newer chip like Haswell Refresh (Devil's Canyon) WITHOUT requiring a bios update. The only way to tell for sure is to go to the manufacturers website and look at the list of supported CPU's for that board. Then make sure the "bios version" is the original, because that is what will come installed on the board. Humorously enough your board DOESN'T have a list like that. Even though they specifically say to check it lol. Whatever, assume it won't work unless told otherwise.

TL;DR - choose your CPU from this list to ensure compatibility: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/parts/cpu/detailed-list/#f=34&X=362,369689&sort=a7&page=1&s=12,13

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube