add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU cooler, last piece of my build to buy

RDE

52 months ago

I was planning on buying the NZXT Kraken X61 but need to save a little money, so im planning on getting an air cooler for now untill January when I will upgrade to a watercooler. I am using a I7 6700k but dont plan on overclocking untill around January.

I have looked at the Cooler Master range and Noctua range and prefer the coolermasters, mainly the Hyper 212 Evo, Hyper 412S and Hyper 612 V2 but I don't know much about them. Are any of these coolers good and worth buying? I would really like to get some opinions so I can order today and start building on the weekend.

Hyper 212 Evo

Hyper 412S

Hyper 612 V2

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

if your not OC until you install the Kraken you should be able to get away with just about any cooler. The Hyper 212 Evo is an old standby good bang for buck cooler, and would work well as a back up unit incase something goes wrong with the Kraken. the Cryorig H7 may also be a good option... it has better absolute performance, but if the Evo is on sale it could end up being cheaper.

• RDE
  • submitter
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I ordered the Hyper 412s in the end, it was only £3/4 more expensive at £27 and i read a few reviews on it and had better performance results according to them than the 212. But ye, i wont be overclocking untill Jan when i get a kraken

[comment deleted by staff]
  • RDE
  • submitter
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input, I understand that buying a temporary one might not be ideal because its a slight waste of money with the intention to replace it. My orginal budget for this build was £1300 and since then ive added skylake and 980ti and i was closer to £1700 now. I thought it would be ok but ive realised it isnt, now that im buying so ive had to cut a few costs for a few of the last parts. Also I like the way the liquid coolers look in the case rather than the fan coolers so thats why i intend to upgrade in Jan. So ill just go for the Hyper 212 Evo untill then if it will do the job and not **** my system up.

This is my build -

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For £286.00
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For £158.45
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory Purchased For £83.37
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For £47.54
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For £37.99
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card Purchased For £532.02
Case Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case Purchased For £140.10
Power Supply Corsair 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For £109.18
Optical Drive LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Purchased For £47.49
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) Purchased For £73.85
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-AC56 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter £35.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1551.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-07 15:40 BST+0100
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait up, have you purchased these parts already?

(Also, what will you be using this for?)

• RDE
  • submitter
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Ye, ive bought all of the parts for my system now. I will be using this for video/image/audio editing, gaming and general use

• RDE
  • submitter
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Ye, the main system is what i intended to do for now and get the best parts i can and then do some more aesthetic customising next year with red sleeved cables, LED strips and new fans etc. I havent even bought myself a new monitor and wont be able to till Jan, so im going to be using great system on a crap 7/8 year old Dell monitor for now.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube