add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

HELP TO BUILD A PC 3D STUDIO MAX WORKSTATION / CINEMA 4D RENDER NODE

wardy_mk
  • 56 months ago

Hi. I previously started a forum discussion for a Cinema 4D Render node build. This was the result. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/96191-first-build-render-farm-for-cinema-4d-budget-2500-3750-parts-list-please

However, I've decided that I'd like to use it as a 3D Studio Max workstation some of the time. In the one I'd chosen the fella had specified a rudimentary graphics card just for configuration etc as I wouldn't be actually using the graphics card after I'd set it up (remember, it was simply for rendering). However, as I've mentioned I'd like the option to use it as a workstation for 3D Studio Max. I'd be using the CPUs for rendering so that's all good to have the beastly processors he's chosen - but I'm guessing I'd need a different motherboard to house a dedicated graphics card for the screen redrawing etc as I'm working on 3DS max.

Below is a list of the parts. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price CPU Intel Xeon E5-2680 V3 2.5GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor £1362.02 @ Scan.co.uk CPU Intel Xeon E5-2680 V3 2.5GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor £1362.02 @ Scan.co.uk CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D9L 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler £38.99 @ Amazon UK CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D9L 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler £38.99 @ Amazon UK Memory Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory £251.99 @ More Computers Memory Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory £251.99 @ More Computers Storage Sandisk X110 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £66.13 @ Scan.co.uk Case Lian-Li PC-A55B (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case £89.99 @ Amazon UK Power Supply SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £84.78 @ Scan.co.uk Other ASRock Rack EP2C612D8
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £3546.90

If anybody could recommend some alterations to this build without adding TOO much onto it I'd really appreciate it as I know nothing about building PCs!!!

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

So, looking at it online I believe 3DS Max can use GPU or CPU rendering but Cinema 4D uses CPU (unless you get a standalone renderer like VRAY, etc, etc) so if I got a TITAN X and a suitable motherboard would all the other components be suitable for this or would these components only be suitable for the ASRock Rack EP2C612D8 motherboard?

Help!

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

If you could post this as a PCPP list, it would make the whole thing a lot easier on the other users. For the list you have, hit the PCPP or reddit icon and copy-paste the text markup into a comment. Then we can quickly get a look at the parts, compatibility, etc.

But just as a note, a standalone system using the 2680v3 requires a dedicated GPU to run, as the cpu does not have integrated graphics.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

How about this? Is this correct? http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/X4yjD3

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, cool I understand about the GPU - that's kind of the reason why I started this thread - because I'll need on-board graphics and a new motherboard to accommodate it?

Sorry, I'm a mac-using newbie!!!

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

From what I can see on the link you posted, everything looks right. The motherboard actually has some onboard video, so it could run a monitor without a dedicated GPU even though the processors do not have integrated graphics.

Based on the specs, I think the ASRock rack is capable of housing a Titan X. At least, it has the PCIx16 slot that the GPU requires. Since the standards are all well-documented and interchangeable, it should work without any issue. It actually has 2xPCI16 slots, so in theory it could handle multiple GPUs, but I don't know if the motherboard chipset supports SLI.

The list looks great! Once you add in a dGPU it will be ready to be a true powerhouse!

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks mate. I appreciate your input. :)

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

So, If I just went with this exact build and popped a Titan X in it too then that'll be everything I need?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

In theory yes, but the case is too small to house a Titan X, unfortunately. There's only one Titan X that passes the compatibility filter, but it passes because it doesn't list the card's length of 270+mm on the part page. The case has a maximum of 267mm for a graphics card.

EDIT: I take all that back. The compatibility specs for the case are incorrect on the site. I'll flag the issue. But I do want to be clear that a Titan X will in fact fit into the case. Because of how the case is arranged, some drive bays may not be usable, but that should not be an issue in this situation.

I'd encourage you to look at this article to see how the case fares in a real build: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6012/lian-li-pca55-case-review-unfortunate-name-befits-design

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep the render node a render node. Use 3DSMAX and C4D on the design rig (a separate computer with a fast quad core and decent GPU for good viewport performance). Run the network rendering servers for mental ray and C4D on the node.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I already have a Mac that's running C4D that I'll be using for my day-to-day work - hence needing a separate one for 3DS Max and Rendering...!

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to use it as a "mixed" use workstation/render node, make the following changes:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E5-2680 V3 2.5GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor £1362.00 @ More Computers
CPU Intel Xeon E5-2680 V3 2.5GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor £1362.00 @ More Computers
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D9L 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler £38.99 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D9L 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler £38.99 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Supermicro X10DAI-O £285.00
Memory Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory £56.52 @ CCL Computers
Storage Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £149.38 @ Scan.co.uk
Storage Western Digital WD SE 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £99.99 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card £155.82 @ More Computers
Case Nanoxia Deep Silence 2 ATX Mid Tower Case £68.38 @ Scan.co.uk
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £134.99 @ Scan.co.uk
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £4147.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-15 03:54 BST+0100

GPU selection can go many ways. GeForce, Quadro, and FirePro all work pretty good with most AutoDesk application DirectX viewports. Radeon has been more hit and miss over the years. The advantage to a quadro/firepro would be that its actually a "supported" configuration and has 10 bit per channel color support, so if you have problems, you will get the help you need. GeForce is a "you're on your own" option. For GPU's I'd also advise looking at the FirePro W4100, W5100, W7100, quadro K2200 and M4000 depending on the resolution you want to work with.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube