add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Plex Server Build Help

Tatov83
  • 56 months ago

Looking to build a low power plex server that can handle 2 1080p streams since I plan to leave it on 24/7

Currently looking at the AMD A10-6700 or maybe a Intel Core i3-4130T unless you know of something better. At least 4-5K passmark score since plex recommends 2K for 1 1080p stream

Already have the hard drives, os but need everything else like case, motherboard, ram, psu. Budget of around $500. The lower the better.

Thanks

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

This is the part list that I would use to build the Plex server you described.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4130T 2.9GHz Dual-Core Processor $120.98 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock B85M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $67.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $39.99 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case $43.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $51.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $308.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-14 01:11 EDT-0400

*A few notes*

I chose one 8GB stick of memory because of the combo sale at newegg and so another 8GB can be easily added later.

You probably could save some more money if you go with a mATX board and a cheaper case. I chose the Elite 130 because I have used it before and found it very compact and easy to build in.

I recently built a server with a Pentium G3258 and it handles a single Plex stream like a dream, so the i3-4130T should have no problem serving two 1080p streams at the same time.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube