add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is the best case for my build

aryan77

50 months ago

Hi guys, i am new here and after much deliberation decided to build my own pc. specifications are here - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qCKVpg However there are 2 areas where i am not able to pin down on what i want. 1. Case - i would like a case in a range of 100 to 150$, with good airflow and cable management, preferably an atx or a mid atx. also want it to look good and be windowed. 2. Monitor - i am also confused on the monitor i should buy. have read a lot of reviews and am confused weather i should go for a 19201080 or 25601440, also confused with refresh rates, i.e 1980*1080 with a better refresh rates, or 2560 with lower. Budget being around 300 to 350$. or do i need to expand the budget there?

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

well, before jumping into the case, you can get a considerably better cpu cooler for an extra $10 and an equally good 650 watt power supply for a whopping $40 less right now. it's a bit too compelling to ignore. what's your budget for evrything together?

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Might want to put the build up on the Part List Opinions Wanted forum if you haven't already. If it's gaming you want to do, there are quite a few things to start knocking around, like the CPU cooler, PSU, RAM, CPU, all to save money for a nicer GPU/monitor combination.

As for cases, though, I've heard good things about the Fractal Design Define series (I've got a beautiful R4 sitting in my living room, waiting to come to life), the NZXT H440, and I'm sure there's plenty of others.

With regards to monitors: I'm pretty sure the GTX 970 (or its AMD counterpart, the R9 390), is meant for either 1440p (1440x2560), or for 144 Hz 1080p (1080x1920) monitors. As I see it, resolution kinda depends on your desired screen size: as you start to move past 24" or so, 1080p starts to become a bit badly pixellated, so 1440p helps preserve the visual illusion that you're looking at something smooth, and not a grid of pixels. Higher refresh rates means better max effective FPS*, and while I suspect 144 FPS is overkill, there are definitely people who notice a smoother experience running past 60 FPS.

*If your monitor can only refresh the image 60 times per second (60 Hz refresh rate), there's not much point in pushing more than 60 frames per second at the monitor.

It's also quite tied into GPU: the better the GPU, the better resolution and higher refresh rate monitor you can sustain at given visual settings/detail. The GPU and monitor budgets should, quite honestly, be combined into one.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube