add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

college ,light gaming build needed

david131
  • 56 months ago

im looking to buld a desktop for college work web browsing and light gaming i have a 700 euro budget but i need everything i dont have any of the parts so id need speakers monitor keyboard wireless adaptor etc etc can someone help me out

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Which country are you in? The euro prices can vary quite a lot between the different areas

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

im in ireland but i will probably be buying the parts off amazon uk

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

This will offer solid gaming performance. With an i5 and 960, you can get medium to high on many games (and max many steam-based games), but expect medium settings on the more demanding AAA titles. Overall, very balanced. The monitor has built-in speakers. As you mentioned, all the parts are from Amazon UK

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor £154.10 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard MSI H97M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £59.98 @ Amazon UK
Memory Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £32.50 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £38.48 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card £147.18 @ Amazon UK
Case Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case £28.98 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply £52.21 @ Amazon UK
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) £73.98 @ Amazon UK
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter £9.32 @ Amazon UK
Monitor BenQ GL2250HM 60Hz 21.5" Monitor £88.79 @ Amazon UK
Keyboard Microsoft Wired Desktop 400 UK Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse £11.80 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £697.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-15 00:01 BST+0100
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Dude..

The DDR4 skylake i5-6400 is better than the DDR3 Haswell i5-4460 by a long margin in all benchmarks including Gaming:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/80817,88185

See the official intel comparison above, be sure to check the 21.3 GB/s vs 34.1 GB/s Memory bandwidth (Skylake vs Haswell), 8 GT/s (Giga Transfers per sec) for the skylake vs 5 GT/s for Haswell, 14nm Manuf vs 22 nm..

Infact CPU.USERBENCHMARK.COM ranks the DDR4 i5-6400 17% faster than the DDR3 i5-4460

The i5-6400 is ranked 22nd ( Desktop 86%, Gaming 84%, Workstation 48% )

The i5-4460 is ranked 90th ( Desktop 73%, Gaming 72%, Workstation 41% )

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6400-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4460/m35537vs2310

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6320 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor £124.98 @ Novatech
Motherboard Asus Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £88.09 @ Amazon UK
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory £50.30 @ Aria PC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £34.74 @ Aria PC
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 380 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card £149.69 @ Aria PC
Case Silverstone RL01B-USB 3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case £29.99 @ Scan.co.uk
Power Supply XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply £58.72 @ CCL Computers
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer £9.00 @ CCL Computers
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter £19.99 @ Amazon UK
Monitor Asus VS247HR 60Hz 23.6" Monitor £103.96 @ Aria PC
Keyboard Logitech MX800 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Laser Mouse £15.47 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £684.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-14 23:41 BST+0100

Edit: Decided to include the i3-6300 3.9 GHz better with Hyper-threading than the i5 without hyper-threading, the i3 will have 2 cores/4cores whereas the i5 with a lower clock speed of about 2.7 GHz will perform lower than the i3 in most applications using single-core & dependent on higher clock speed..

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi dude.. Thx for getting back..

A. If u look at this price comparison.. http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/intel-cpu-bx80662i36300%2Cintel-cpu-bx80662i56400/

Guess why the i3 is priced higher than the i5 ?? More than 90% of apps are still uni-core based benefitting more from a higher-clock speed.. and apps can't differentiate between a Virtual core (thread) and a true core..

The Skylake Core i3-6320 is the gamer's new best friend
http://techreport.com/news/28957/the-skylake-core-i3-6320-is-the-gamer-new-best-friend

B. Absolutely no difference between the 2GB 380 & the 4GB 380 PRESENTLY - yes that is the key word, PRESENTLY - By the time Games get robust enough to use more than 2GB GDDR5, maybe it will be time also for a hardware upgrade??

http://us.hardware.info/comparisontable/products/312909-313601

Thx for getting back tho' cheers :))

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi dude.. this isn't an argument at all, is it?? Just a healthy discussion to know which are the best options??

Anyways, pls look if u find anything to the contrary.. I will be the first person to change my opinion but US.HARDWARE.INFO, a very respected Benchmarking portal - They give EXCELLENT rating only to very exceptional hardware, ones that blows everyone away.. They just give a gold..

Here is their R7/R9 370/380/390 review it says..

FINAL THOUGHTS

"..To start off with the 2GB versus 4GB versions of the Radeon R7 370 and R9 380. We could not detect a significant performance advantage in any playable resolution between the cards with 4GB over the cards with 2GB memory. Sometimes there was a difference like in Ultra settings in Ultra HD resolutions, but both cards are nowhere near powerful enough to play anything on those resolutions. We can conclude that 2GB on a card like the 370 or 380 is basically enough, and there is little need to spend more money on the 4GB versions of the cards. We cannot imagine any games coming out in the near future that would be playable on ultra resolutions on cards like these."

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/6163/18/amd-radeon-r7r9-300-series-review-r7-370-2-and-4gb-r9-380-2-and-4gb-and-r9-390-and-390x-benchmarked-final-thoughts

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Holllllld up. I appreciate that you are backing up your claims with links and information, but I think you are way off base here.

Yes, single-core apps will run faster on an i3 with a higher clock rate, but those apps are fast becoming a thing of the past. I would never recommend an i3 over an i5 unless it was the better budget option. Keep in mind that the four virtual cores in an i3 are not the same as the four physical cores in an i5. Hyperthreaded cores allow for a certain degree of parallelization, but they do not duplicate the core's main execution resources. I could go into more detail, but in the end a hyperthreaded core can deliver in the neighborhood of 30% extra performance over a single core. Definitely not the 100% boost you get from a second physical core.

Now, I would recommend getting an i5 clocked at 3.2GHz or above, but even so the 3.8GHz clock rate of that i3 is not enough to declare it the winner. More and more, games are utilizing more than two cores (look at the Far Cry 4 debacle, though that was partly down to poor optimization). It seems short-sighted to recommend a CPU based on its performance in older, single or dual core games rather than looking forward to what's coming down the line.

Take the Xbox One and PS4 - both use 8-core AMD processors. Take the advancements in multi-core utilization that will come with DX12. Both of these factors suggest that games in the near future will utilize and even require multiple processing cores.

Now regarding the 2GB vs 4GB graphics card debate. You are partially correct - in many games there is no perceivable difference, and playing at 1080p makes this more likely to be the case. However, there is a reason to buy a 4GB card if the prices aren't too much higher. Many modern games are capable of using over 2GB of VRAM (GTA V, AC Unity, Far Cry 4, Witcher 3, etc), even at settings that are still playable on the cards in question. The big benefit you get from 4GB is fewer stutters. When a 2GB card is required to use more than 2GB of memory, it has to spill over into the slower system memory. This can cause hiccups in framerate that can be jarring. Having 4GB on tap significantly reduces this symptom in many modern games - but again, it's only worth it if the prices aren't too much higher.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube