add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Jackkc
  • 56 months ago

With the Holidays around the corner this seems the time to start planning to upgrade my comp. I was wondering if you guys could take a look and recommend some suggestions to upgrade this. I use it for gaming so I would like something that could play the newest games on the highest settings. I also tend to have a movie or streaming show on second monitor while playing said game.

Here is my current build

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Jackkc/saved/#view=mFhKHx

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

What is your budget for upgrades? This will help me plan out your upgrades. Thank you.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

From the build, Maybe its 1700 USD?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Your Build is Capable of Playing games Decently. To Make this easier so that you dont have to tear out your own build and start a new build, Why not the newer 4690K? But that might not matter because you can overclock that 4670K. One Thing you HAVE TO UPGRADE the PSU. Maybe change it to a Seasonic?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Better power supply (the CX is atrocious): the typical recommendations there are EVGA (except for G1/B1), XFX, SeaSonic, Antec, and a few other odd ducks.

Otherwise, depends on the budget; you may wish to either Crossfire in a second GPU, buy a better GPU to replace it with, or just continue saving money for a big GPU upgrade.

But seriously, replace that PSU; the best one I know of (at least, without spending more money than will help) is the EVGA G2 (or P2) series, but there are other brands which are also certified as "Better Than CX".

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol, I think what you guys are telling me is that my PSU is not optimal?

as for budget maybe 500-600 for some upgrades?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

How about this. You get an i7 processor with quad core and hyperthreading(it will fit on your motherboard). You also get a better gpu with better performance and 4gb of gddr5 memory. Finally you get a better power supply(cx series power supplies aren't the greatest as said before on this thread). Have a great day and happy building!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $324.99 @ B&H
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card $207.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $96.50 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $659.48
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $629.48
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-15 16:37 EDT-0400
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you for your help, quick question though... The cpu cooler I have had a preapplied thermal compound. Would I need to apply a new thermal compound or would it be better to replace the cooler itself?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

You have two options: you can clean the cpu cooler with a microfiber cloth and apply new thermal paste or get a new cooler altogether. I would recommend buying thermal paste, cleaning the cooler, and applying the paste. You can save money buy doing this. A thermal paste that I highly recommend is Artic Silver 5: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-silver-thermal-paste-as535g

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube