add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Part List Help - Right CPU? 3-way SLI? Optimal RAM Setup? Do I need anything else? Watercooling Kit?

Qrktherog
  • 56 months ago

Part list help! Just a few questions before I buy all the parts to build this beauty.

I've heard 4-way SLI is not working as intended. Is 3-way SLI going to be a performance decrease over 2? Is 8x8GB RAM faster or slower than 4x16GB? What's the ideal setup for RAM? Is there anything else I need to buy to set up this rig that is not listed in build? Notably fans, cords, ect. Is there a simple water cooling kit?

All advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor $999.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Swiftech H220-X 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $189.99 @ Amazon
Thermal Compound Prolimatech PK-3 Nano Aluminum High-Grade 30g Thermal Paste $34.97 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI X99A GODLIKE GAMING EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $549.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory $490.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $340.98 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Superclocked Video Card (3-Way SLI) $1029.33 @ B&H
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Superclocked Video Card (3-Way SLI) $1029.33 @ B&H
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II (Black) ATX Full Tower Case $306.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1600W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $373.49 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $17.89 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) $138.89 @ OutletPC
Fan Controller NZXT SENTRY 3 Fan Controller $29.88 @ OutletPC
Monitor Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor $625.61 @ Amazon
Keyboard Logitech K740 Wired Slim Keyboard $59.99 @ Amazon
External Storage Toshiba Canvio Desk 5TB External Hard Drive $129.99 @ B&H
UPS CyberPower PR1500LCDRT2U UPS $468.91 @ Amazon
Other SLI Bridge $48.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $9146.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-16 14:02 EDT-0400

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Prolimatech thermal compound is not good. Also get rid of that Toshiba external since Toshiba hard drives are known to fail a lot.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

1, first and foremost, you are going to have a GREAT system. I have some comments and advice, keep in mind I love the system you have put together, I am just going to try and sway you with a couple of opinions I have built up over the years.

SLI depends heavily upon game support. If the dev's don't support it, multiple GPU's give you nothing. IMO you should start with TWO titan x's and see where that gets you. I don't know if you even need 3 or 4 for 1440p. That would take some more research. I know it can help your FPS at 4k though. I realize you are going for surround 1440p here, but hmmmm. Yes, research.

Let's talk about custom liquid cooling. It will give you the lowest temperatures for your CPU and GPU for sure. Lower temperatures mean more overclocking headroom. Did you want to mess with that? Most cool boards come with an "ez overclock one click" thingy. I just do that cuz I'm not crazy about pushing hardware like that. Custom loops also allow you ultimate customization of the looks. Now consider the bad. You are "supposed" to drain and refill the loop every 6 months for maximum longevity and smooth operation. There are ongoing operating costs there too. If you are a tinker, then you will likely love a custom loop, and yes, there are some starter kits with excellent pumps, fans, and radiator starting in the $200 range. Water WILL evaporate out of any system that has a cap you can remove to fill (like the swiftech cooler you selected), so they will require maintenance.

Let's compare with a closed loop cooler. Closed loops tend to perform similar to huge air coolers. they offer a better look in IMO, but there is another point of failure in the pump vs an air cooler with just the fans that can fail. I have closed loop coolers in 2 of my 3 systems. They will last about 5-6 years from purchase before they need to be replaced.

In the end the lowest temp you can theoretically achieve is ambient. It's not even really possible to get there. Everything else is just efficiency of heat exchange. Long and thick radiators provide more surface area for heat to exchange with the cool intake air. That is one place you get the performance boost.

I absolutely love the look that people are able to achieve with their custom loops. I like to admire them from afar. Guess I am lazy as I don't look forward to the maintenance.

Case:
What is up with everyone and the Cosmos II. I feel it is an excellent but outdated case. Where is the side panel window to show off your excellent build? In a budget like yours that is a requirement. SHOW ME PRETTY!!!!!

RAM:
You can spend a lot of money chasing FPS here, but the reality is that most the RAM will perform within 2 FPS of each other :-\

You have the budget for the fast/pretty stuff with light effects though! So, why NOT???

The fastest SSD you can get right now is the Intel 750, or the Samsung m.2 PCI variant. In order to be as confusing as possible not all m.2 ports support that variation. Many are SATA speed only :-(. They also have different marketing terms for it. I have seen Ultra m.2 and Turbo m.2.
m.2 is a port made popular in Ultrabooks and other super small form factor motherboards. Your godlike motherboard DOES include an m.2 PCI port. Keep in mind, this WILL consume some PCI lanes. (4 if I remember correctly.) Your motherboard also includes a u.2 port....WTF is a u.2 port lol. Seems to be similar xfer speeds as m.2 (pci). Cool. Anyway, here is the PCI variant SSD I was talking about: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mzhpv512hdgl00000

KB/Mouse: You have the budget for a great keyboard. I strongly recommend mechanical keyboards as the ultimate keying experience! Choose one from this list if you like: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/keyboard/overall-list/#s=1,5,4&sort=a8&page=1&m=50,11,170,276,108,162,56&X=662,62999. There are others of course, but this list is nice and concise.

For mouse, it really depends upon your grip, but people seem to love Logitech, Razer, Corsair and many others. Here is a list of some hot ones to consider: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/mouse/overall-list/#m=11,108,162&t=2&k=1&sort=a7&page=1&X=542,46898. I love love love my Logitech G500s, but....I only paid $55 for it.

Anyway, hope these ramblings help you out in some form or another!

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube