add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

NEW BUILD HELP! (Manirelli's build)

Showdin
  • 56 months ago

Hey guys, i'm a complete "newb" when it comes to PC's however I'm building my first PC following Manirelli's guide however I need some additional help to enable me to finally create the build... All help is appreciate! thank you...

This is the build:

CPU - Intel Core i5 4460 3.2ghz quad core processor Motherboard - Asus H97M E/CSM Micro ATX LGA1150 Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2 x 4GB) Storage - PNY CS1211 240GB 2.5" Solid state drive Seagate Barrcuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hard Drive Video Card - MSI Radeon r9 380 (this I chose instead of the GTX 960) Case - Fractal Design Core 1500 MicroATX PSU - Corsair CX 500w 80+ Bronze

So this is the build... I am very happy with the build its just that many people suggest that this PSU is a poor choice and that you can get a much better PSU for the same price or less. So if anyone could suggest a PSU that I use instead of this please suggest which one!

In addition, I was also wondering which OS I should purchase that would be good for gaming and editing. I'm not too bothered on getting the fanciest just one that will do the job, preferably a Windows system.

Furthermore, I was also wondering if anyone could suggest any cheaper gaming monitors that suppors HDMI and have a 1 m/s respsone time... I would search myself and have done so, however I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can help me find one that may be cheaper than other competitors. Again not searching for top of the range, just one that would do the job.

Lastly, I'm trying my hardest to get a wired connection within reach of where I plan to place my desktop, however if this isn't possible, could anyway suggest a decent wirelesss adapter. Also, (I know this probably sounds super nooby!) but do I have to buy an ethernet adapter or something or can I literally just create this build and just plug an ethernet cable right in?

Thanks so much for taking your time reading this guys, please help if you believe you can! It would be much appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Showdin

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

That power supply is fine people are just haters cause they want to feel good about themselves attention wh****.

• 56 months ago
  • 0 points

A few things to start off with:

-correct, the corsair CX is a poor choice. XFX, antec, and Seasonic consistently make the most reliable budget PSUs.

-The motherboard has onboard ethernet, so the wired connection is covered.

-Any OS is fine, just make sure it is 64-bit. Otherwise, just make it a balance of price and preference

-This list includes one of the less-expensive 1080p monitors, and at 23", it is priced very well. The input lag isn't 1ms. It's 5ms, but the difference in anything less than 6ms is imperceptible to humans.

I also went through and just did general optimization of the Manirelli build. Because the price on various components fluctuates so much, many of the units in the Manirelli list are much more expensive than they need to be at the moment, so I went through to make sure the best and least expensive options were selected for each part. If you have an idea of what budget you'd like the build to be in, I could do a much better job of making a list, otherwise I can only go off of what you say and what is already in the manirelli list. I have gotten very good at squeezing every last dollar out of a budget without sacrificing reliability!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $174.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $74.99 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $34.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $79.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card $229.99 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $28.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $51.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) $92.99 @ SuperBiiz
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill RNX-N150PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $10.80 @ Newegg
Monitor LG 23MP47HQ 60Hz 23.0" Monitor $119.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $945.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-16 15:04 EDT-0400
  • 56 months ago
  • 2 points

This list includes one of the less-expensive 1080p monitors, and at 23", it is priced very well. The input lag isn't 1ms. It's 5ms, but the difference in anything less than 6ms is imperceptible to humans.

Input lag and response time are not the same thing. The 5ms response time rating is a "grey-to-grey" pixel response, and has to do with how quickly a pixel's color can change. Realistically speaking, anything with less than ~8-10ms response time is going to work fine for gaming.

The input lag of other similar 23" LG brand IPS displays is 9-11ms, I don't believe this specific 23" has been tested by a 3rd party yet. I think it's reasonable to assume this one would be similar. ~10ms input lag is fine for gaming.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I mixed up the terms, and I apologize for that, I was feeling too lazy at the time to go and look to see on the parts page which the correct term was

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey Fellway, first of all thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Firstly, is the any certain CPU you could personally suggest to me? If so that would be helpful.

In response to your comment about the price of the build, obviously I would love the price to be as low as possible, as the initial build was a bit of a push for me. However, the only reason why I was willing to pay this amount as because I was aware that the performance was at a very good level. If you were able to get a build that delivers the same performance but is cheaper, that would be great. Again the reason why I followed this build is because it came with a video tutorial on how to build the computer itself. Which really benefited me as I have no previous experience in building computers. However, if the hardware is different, would this make any difference to making the build? Again if none of this isn't a problem then I would love to get the same build for cheaper...

Also, I hear everyone going on about it and was wondering if it actually made a difference to gaming. Does the 60hz 120hz and 144hz refresh rates really make that much difference to gaming or is it just appearance that is better with these monitors...

Thanks again for your help mate really appreciate it!

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

The list as I posted it is about as cheap as it'll get without sacrificing performance. You could definitely scale back on the SSD if you want to save more money. Going with the 120/128gb Adata Premier Pro would be the most cost effective option without dropping the SSD entirely.

And the build video should still be pretty close to how it'll be with this list. The only major differences would be the case and the power supply. The power supply in the manirelli list is semi-modular, so in the video when they talk about connecting cables on the PSU, all the cables will be already emerging from the hole on the XFX. That's the only difference there, really. If you want the video to be as close as possible to your build experience, you can go with the manirelli case choice, but I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out just fine either way.

According to other users, the 120 and 144 Hz monitors are great to have, but you need a pretty strong (read: expensive) system to make the most of anything over 60Hz. It's not worth the investment now, considering that the refresh rate technology will likely become less expensive later on. A good 60Hz monitor is really a great place to start. Unless you've done 144Hz pc gaming before, you'll be perfectly happy with 60Hz gaming. It's also worth noting that many 120Hz televisions are not actually 120Hz, so don't let something like that influence your decision.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

There's a huge difference between 60 hz and 144hz. Your screen will move much smoother, almost like you're getting more fps. It's hard to explain the difference between 60hz and 144hz. You kindve just have to see it. There are comparisons on YouTube of people slowing down two clips and showing how much more fluent 144hz is.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

The changes from my list are monitor, motherboard, and SSD (just for reference). This definitely gets my approval! Looks great to me

EDIT: I did notice that the monitor doesn't have an HDMI port. Just thought I'd point it out since OP wanted HDMI.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help MistuhJ.

Would this build perform exactly the same as Manirelli's build? If so that would be awesome.

Also I would probably go with the monitor that Fellway suggested as I can get it cheaper in the UK and it has HDMI support. In addition I'm buying 2 so the cheaper the better!

Many Thanks!

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats awesome, thansk man appreciate it.

Yes I am, because I'm assuming there will be complications if I order from America and it will take a super long time...

What are your opinions on this monitor? http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-GL2250HM-Multimedia-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B00B7ZE0G2

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube