add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cheap air flow please

Slothy85

50 months ago

Hi there,

This is the build Im looking at: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/DwrkMp

I would like some recommendations for a good air flow case for under £50 (location UK). OR if you think that there is case which is much better airflow for a little more money please let me know as the budget isnt ridgid.

Ideally I wast a Corsair 540 but dont want to spend that much on a case at the mo!

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't build this. the psu isn't good and is awful for its price in the Uk.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £199.99 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler £40.00 @ Scan.co.uk
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £129.99 @ Amazon UK
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory £42.48 @ Ebuyer
Storage Sandisk Z400s 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £35.99 @ Novatech
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1 DT 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For £0.00
Storage Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 3.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For £0.00
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card £235.79 @ More Computers
Case Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case £61.03 @ CCL Computers
Power Supply XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £62.98 @ Aria PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) £72.96 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £881.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-17 18:28 BST+0100

The case has the potential to literally be a wind tunnel since nothing is blocking any of the fans. It has a better psu, a motherboard that is more suitable to overclocking, a cheaper cpu cooler, its not as good as the Nepton 240M but I have a feeling that MSI PC Mate would hold back the Nepton so it would really imo be pointless to get.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely change my psu thanks for this (id just chucked that one in as a place marker). I was thinking of investing in a more powerful psu for future proofing as I may crossfire in the future. Would you have any recommendations for this?

Thanks for thr advice on the cooler too. Would the Nepton be worth with the Maximus 8? I was leaning towards liquid cooling as I understand that this brings down temps faster than air.

Also out of interest what are thr reasons you feel the PC mate would hold back the Nepton? I didn't even realise this could be an issue!

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

. I was thinking of investing in a more powerful psu for future proofing as I may crossfire in the future.

I wouldn't recommend it since you are usually better off with a single more powerful card but if you did want to go that route I would recommend a 850 watt Evga G2 or GS.

Would the Nepton be worth with the Maximus 8?

Yes.

I was leaning towards liquid cooling as I understand that this brings down temps faster than air.

Do you mean better or faster? If you mean better, no, dual tower coolers like the D15 have very similar performance to 240MM AIO coolers but its usually is quieter and is cheaper and will last longer.

Also out of interest what are thr reasons you feel the PC mate would hold back the Nepton?

The lack of power phases, it has 6, its enough for a mild overclock but with a Nepton you aren't going to be wanting to do a mild overclock and the not so great VRM heatsinks on the motherboard, I have more info about power phases and vrm's in my profile if you want to know more.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks again for the detailed answers and addressing each point I had vagabond.

I read that liquid cooling decreases the temp faster than air. I understand that the diffrence in the min temperature will be small all else being equal. I can reference exactly but the article I read indicated liquid can decrease temps at least 10x faster than air. Based in this I thought that that kind of diffrence would help the longevity of an overclocked cpu.

Ill take a look at your profile and see if I can understand any of it :)

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I can reference exactly but the article I read indicated liquid can decrease temps at least 10x faster than air.

A air cooler is technically a liquid cooler since it has liquid in it. Was this for just for PC's or just in general?

Based in this I thought that that kind of diffrence would help the longevity of an overclocked cpu.

I honestly don't think even if it was true it would make a difference in its life span.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Also you refer above to a mild overclock. If were talking about an i5 6600k what kind of diffrence are you talking about between mild and maximum. I appreciate this is not and exact science but I have never done ot before.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

By mild I mean around around 4.3ghz, a .4ghz difference and but max, I mean like 4.8ghz+, almost a 1ghz difference.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube