- 56 months ago
My only modern machine, an A8-3500M HP black friday special from 2011 is finally dying. Parts are starting to just die on an almost weekly basis, so it's time to replace. I'm on an EXTREMLY tight budget for parts as I'm trying to save up to get a new car asap.
I can shunt about $400 over to this build.
The laptop has served me well these past 4 years, but it's limitations have made me see what my actual priorities are.
Aside from the usual web, office, etc the following are my requirements:
- I need to be able to run some older windows VMs every once in awhile for forensic research
- I've spent years in Handbrake converting my still massive DVD and VHS collections. I just run the standard High preset, no matter what it is in whatever version of handbrake is current.
- Now that there is GPU acceleration for x264 in Handbrake, being able to take advantage of that would be helpful.
- I don't play too many intensive games. Minecraft, Civ V, and random indie steam games with my buddies multiplayer. Would like to finally be able to play some older games that I've had sitting in my steam library; the Arkham games, Battlefieds, CoDs, stuff like that.
- Whatever case has to be able to hold 3 or 4 3.5" hard drives so I can stop using a ghetto pile of external cases and such.
The actual parts list needs to consist of:
- Case (top mounted front ports if possible)
- Video card...if there's room in the budget. Something with a passable IGP comparable to what's in my current machine would be miminum otherwise.
Thanks in advance for anything you guys can help me with.
Here are a few builds I've specc'd out, but I haven't built a machine in years so all help is appreciated: