• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

FinalSmash 41 months ago

Okay, so I created a part list : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xR3msY And now, Intel has released the Skylake CPUs. I assume that they're better than the Haswells because they're newer, but I wanted some help deciding. I'm currently going with the i5-4460, because I'm not a huge gamer and I don't need to overclock. Should I upgrade to a Skylake? And if so, which one?

Comments Sorted by:

Starman4308 2 points 41 months ago

Skylake is generally better; an otherwise-equal Skylake processor will generally do about 5-20% better than a Haswell CPU due to ILP improvements. For most purposes, it's not really a convincing improvement (few things are CPU-limited, particularly games, with mobo and RAM, it'll cost you ~$50-100 extra), but it's not just the performance. Skylake brings with it a new platform, based on the LGA1151 socket (as opposed to the older LGA1150), which means it'll be easier to upgrade and maintain as we go forwards. It also has additional support for features like M.2 sockets, etc. It is for that, and not the performance edge, that I usually recommend Skylake for new builders.

As to which Skylake; probably the i5-6400, i5-6500, or i5-6600, depending on what you're willing to pay for and how much CPU power you need. In this case, I suspect probably the i5-6400 unless there's a tight pricing gap to the i5-6500.

EDIT: Oh, and yes, get a better PSU, and don't even bother with such a low-end graphics card. The typical PSU recommendations are EVGA (except for G1/B1), XFX, SeaSonic, and Antec.

FinalSmash submitter 1 point 41 months ago

How come the i5-6400 is only 2.7 Ghz?

Starman4308 1 point 41 months ago

It's a low-binned processor which probably failed Intel's tests at high frequencies, and thus was sold at a discount. It's very common practice to sell partially-defective chips as lower-cost, lower-performance units. I'm pretty sure that's how most dual-core CPUs are made these days; they're quad-cores with at least one nonfunctioning core.

So that doesn't apply to all i5-6400's?

Starman4308 1 point 41 months ago

That applies to all i5-6400s, because Intel binned them all at 2.7 GHz (plus up to 3.3 GHz turbo), and then locked them at that clock speed.

Unless you mean the bit about it failing Intel's tests; it's plausible that Intel might be making more good chips than it can sell, in which case it'll just divert from higher bins. It'll still be locked at the same frequency, though. No real difference to the end user, other than high-binned chips likely being more power-efficient.

Ah. I understand. I suppose 2.7 will suffice for my needs.

jacobs4525 1 Build 2 points 41 months ago

First off, that parts list has a few poor choices. The GPU is not even that much better than integrated (with Nvidia, don't bother with the GT cards, they're almost never a good deal), the PSU is of poor quality, and the case is from a notoriously terrible brand.

If you want us to be able to answer your question about Haswell vs Skylake, tell us what you'll actually be doing with this PC.

Yeah, the GPU is something I've been looking to upgrade. Any cheap reccomendations?

I'd be playing games with GameCube/Wii graphics, and maybe Battlefront, it depends, as well as medium video editing and document work, aside from the usual internet browsing.

vikingXcore 4 Builds 1 point 41 months ago

gtx 950 is nearly as good as a 960, which is good for med-high settings at 1080p@60fps in the newer games and high/ultra settings for older games. the AMD alternative is better than either of those (R9 370, 280, 285, 380 [the latter two being a higher tier than the former two and GTX 960/950).

EDIT: Basically GTX 950 is a good starting point for great gaming at a low cost

PolarGhostex 1 point 41 months ago

I agree with the 950.. maybe a AMD 370 or 380 4GB?