add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Pleeeeease help! Gaming rig needed. £1000-1200 budget.

Jai-Jai
  • 56 months ago

Would somebody be kind enough to compile a part list for me? I have a budget of £1000 - £1200 max. I would like it to use a Skylake processor. Don't need periphals, monitor and happy with onboard sound.

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £199.99 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler £103.98 @ Novatech
Motherboard Asus Z170-K ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £97.56 @ Amazon UK
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory £49.02 @ CCL Computers
Storage Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £63.29 @ Amazon UK
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £39.01 @ CCL Computers
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card £372.98 @ Aria PC
Case NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case £57.10 @ Ebuyer
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £67.94 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1050.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-19 21:30 BST+0100
  • 56 months ago
  • 2 points

Change ssd to a 250gb evo for £3 more and get a much bettter ssd, and possibly go for a Z170-pro gaming instead of Z170-K, apart from that its great!

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you very much Amazian! If you were to select air cooling over a liquid cooler, what would you suggest?

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

Liquid because you can overclock this CPU

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

But if you wish to go with an air cooler, go with the Hyper 212 Evo

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £199.99 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler Scythe Kotetsu 79.0 CFM CPU Cooler £31.11 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £112.58 @ Amazon UK
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory £41.99 @ Ebuyer
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £68.34 @ Aria PC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £34.74 @ Aria PC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card £519.98 @ Aria PC
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case £86.95 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £65.64 @ More Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1161.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-19 21:46 BST+0100

Will run whisper quiet and overclock nicely if you fancy it.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Many thanks staffsMike!

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

No problem, there are many ways to spend £1200 on a custom build of course, but for gaming nothing will touch this.

Overclocking is not the main concern here, but I wouldn't be drawn in by watercooling unless you want every last Mhz out of the chip. Most haswell chips previous and I believe skylake will reach a sensible limit on both air and cooling without shoving too many volts into it.

The case here is really nice but obviously there are loads of ways to go here.

The PSU seems a bit low if you look at the suggested requirement of 450w plus.. but in reality it will use no where near that.

The cooler I picked is the quietest one I have ever used and comes most highly recommended by SPCR the authority on silent components.

The GPU and PSU run fanless at idle so add no noise if you are just surfing etc.. as well as ASUS on board fan control being excellent for controlling your case fans which as also premium items with one of the best sound profiles on the market.

In general just a lovely build really...if I do say so myself ^

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you once again for taking the time to reply. I really do appreciate it.

This will be the first rig I will be building myself. For the last 6 years I had been using a prebuilt 'Nero' from Mesh computers with a £60 gfx card :D Recently it started acting up and I tried to clean it with a hoover . Oops - I fried it. So that's one lesson learned - use compressed air in future.

I've been looking at a ton of tutorials on how to build a rig so I'm feeling confident enough to give it a try. I have been trying to familiarise myself with the different components and this is one of the reasons I would prefer air cooling over liquid - apparently liquid cooling is a little trickier to install?

One of the things that confuses/interests me is the relationship between Memory and the GFX card. In the example you have suggested, would 8gb be enough for the GFX card? I'd be happy to double the memory if I could keep near my budget limit.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

RAM only affects graphics cards that have no memory themselves most likely found in an APU (integrated graphics). RAM is used for gaming of course but is serves it's own purpose and 8GB is the current standard gaming amount as most games use considerably less than this. Battlefront is apparently recommending 16GB of RAM though and of course things move on as time moves on so if you want to double it now or later it will need doing during the life of the machine I'd imagine.

Graphics cards have their own VRAM which is a lot faster and purpose made for them.

More is better as long as it can all be utilised but ultimately games aren't using a lot more than 4GB of VRAM currently, so 6GB in the 980Ti is ample as well as it being a ridiculously powerful card.

On a side note, I haven't thought about MESH computers for years so thanks for the memories!! :D (didn't know they were still going in fact!!)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube