add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Could I upgrade this pre-built pc for 1080 bliss?

Derpimus
  • 56 months ago

My girlfriend has a HP Pavilion p7-1254 (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03135882) and it does pretty well for a lot of games, as long as we drop the settings down quite a lot.. She absolutely hates this, and wants fancy graphics at 1080p. Is there a video card that I could pop into such a pre-built pc to make it handle most if not all games at medium to high settings? I would much rather upgrade the card (and most likely the power supply as well) than to build an entirely new system from scratch and I'd love to hear your opinions! Thanks guys, you rock :3

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't know the budget so i go with this. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card $139.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $39.49 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $179.48
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-21 03:30 EDT-0400
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow that's actually really close to what I was digging up as well, since no one was replying. There wouldn't be any compatibility issues with the motherboard or anything? Just pop in the new psu and card and poof?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

GTX 950 can work on PCIe 2.0 aswell they are backwards compatable so it will work, after you install the card you will need to install nvidia drivers and if you want to OC the card you can install the drivers that come inside the box with the GPU that is all.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks man it's something to think about at least. Would be pretty sweet to get some extra life out of this box.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

with that CPU, i would just get a GTX 750ti. I don't think that going higher than that will make sense and the 300 watts PSU will handle it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card $109.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $109.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-21 07:55 EDT-0400

But if you are planning on reusing the GPU and the PSU later on on a newer build then it would make sense.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

I'll agree, a 750 Ti is the best option

• 56 months ago
  • -2 points

brb putting a titan x in it

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube