add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Time for a new gaming rig

MonkDad
  • 56 months ago

Came across your brilliant pc build resource here and thought i'd give it a go. my current nearly 4 yr old computer is dying a slow death and its time for a new one. ive been reading a bit online and on other forums and have pretty much decided on what i want to get. would love some help and opinions on these componets, and what else i would need: - i5-6600k cpu - nvidia gtx 960 - 120gb (maybe 240) ssd - 1tb hdd

where i need help is: - motherboard? - sound card? - power supply? - cooling system?

i live in ontario canada, so any applicable websites would be greatly appreciated as well. cheers!

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you already buy these parts? If not then I would like your budget and I can help you with a higher performing build.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

nope, havent bought anything yet mate. just picked those parts based on what ive read and how they perform for most games. my budget is about $1200 Canadian. dont think the wife will allow me to spend any more than that lol

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

If this is a gaming build I can get you much more performance but I must ask if you need any peripherals

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

pcpartpicker here ya go mate. I focused mainly on quality of components and had to get a nice psu in there(why it's expensive-ish). I wanted to get a 390 which is almost as good as 2 960s and the best bang for your buck gpu wise. As for cpu I went for the Intel i5 6500 because although you can't overclock I think it's a very nice cpu. I have that paired with a nice motherboard from asrock. I have 8gb of super speedy ram and a 256gb ssd along with a Wd caviar blue for mass storage. I left some budget open so you can choose a nice case that you really like as I don't feel like I can make that decision for you.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

to reply to your last question, i dont need any peripherals. but i did forget to mention a case. do you have a recommendation?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm I personally am in love with the enthoo pro from phanteks and I also like nzxt h440/noctis or the define s window from fractal design. I say you should look around and find something that you really like because we're not the same people.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

so, when buying these parts, they all come with appropriate cables and screws, etc., correct?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes they do! It's really easy to build a of nowadays. It's kinda like putting together a jigsaw puzzle meant for 5 year olds. Sata cables come with the motherboard and power supply has all of the power cables you will need. I hope I helped with your decisions. Have a nice day!

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

something else that might be a really stupid question. but i remember having to buy a separate card so that my computer could connect up to high speed. do i still need ethernet cards or are they built in now?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

is thermal paste still something to worry about? i was reading that these intel chips come with a thermal pad on them now so the paste doesn't need to be applied. is that the case with the cpu we are talking about?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

any recommendation for a decent sound card? in the past ive never been happy with onboard sound, and ive got a 5.1 setup

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm how much are you willing to spend?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

honestly i dont really know what a "decent" one costs. I guess $50-100?? If that's too low, let me know

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

just curious, what made you pick that particular motherboard? im going to be ordering everything over the next couple of evenings so i wondered why you went with the ASRock as opposed to one of the more popular motherboards on the list

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

This motherboard at the time was way cheaper than any other options. I'll update the price list with new deals that have come up.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

pcpartpicker Here's an updated one for cheaper.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube