add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build, questions about PSU

Irlandskii
  • 54 months ago

Hello everyone.

This is my first computer build that I'm going to be using primarily for recording games as well as live streaming:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6tn7xr

I could use some assistance picking a good PSU for this build. I've been told that Corsair makes good products and that the most I would need would probably be a 650W, but as far as picking a specific one I'm a little overwhelmed by the options available. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Evga gs, g2,b2 lines are some good examples. Other companies like seasonic a and xfx also do very good psu's too.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

for a 650 watt go with the EVGA 650 G2.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Just as a heads up, not everything Corsair sells these days is good. The CX series, for example, is pretty infamous here; it's not necessarily bad, but it's not something I'd plug into a high-performance build. The typical recommendations I see are EVGA (mostly G2, GS, and B2), XFX, SeaSonic, and Antec, and there's a database for PSU reviews here. There's other good PSUs scattered around as well.

For what you're looking at, probably the cheapest I would recommend is either* the Antec EA-650 Green or the 620W Seasonic mentioned by rolfejc. At the premium end, there's also stuff like the G2; I'm not sure its performance in voltage regulation, ripple suppression, etc is necessary for a non-overclocked computer, and its long warranty is a blessing and a curse. If you know you'll stay under 650W for a decade, it's a blessing, if you think you might exceed that, you'll have to get a new PSU when it comes time.

*I missed seeing the Seasonic because I'd set a filter for >= 650W.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the advice. I've checked out all the suggestions and I think I'm going to go with an EVGA G1. Glad you gave me the heads up on Corsair because now that I've looked at reviews for their PSU's a little bit more I'm seeing that a common issue among them is that they can just die unexpectedly.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm going to go with an EVGA G1

that would be a mistake. almost anything from corsair would be better.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

You know when I said "G2, GS, and B2"?

That's because the G1 and B1 aren't very good for the price, the N1 is absolutely atrocious, and most of the rest are budget PSUs for budget builds (though PureBlackFire might be a better judge of the budget PSUs).

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand the B1 being a bronze series and all, but for conversation's sake what's so about the G1? From what I'm seeing there's only about a 10 dollar difference between the G1 and a Corsair RM650 on amazon, although from what I've seen it's better to stay away from Corsair because of the unpredictability in the lifespan of the PSU. As for the G1 versus the G2, what information am I missing there?

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

It's how good of a power supply it is, and "how good" mostly means how steady the power delivered to your components actually is.

The G2, for example, has superb voltage regulation, ripple suppression, transients, and other qualities. It's delivering almost exactly the correct voltage with very little ripple, meaning your components are getting very steady power, minimizing damage and potentially allowing for a better steady overclock.

In comparison to the G2's "need a magnifying glass to see the ripple on the chart", the G1 has major ripple and quite mediocre voltage regulation. It's all within the ATX spec, and it's not an immediate hazard, but for the amount of money you spend on a G1, you expect something far better.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay I see. So despite the mainly positive reviews I've seen for the G1, I'm guessing it's not exactly capable of delivering power at the same quality as the G2?

EDIT: Didn't see what you added afterwords.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube