add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help building my first PC.

Wolfyg17
  • 55 months ago

Hello! I would appreciate some help building my first gaming PC.

Budget I would like to keep it under 500, but can stretch it to 550 if needed.

Location I'm in the U.S

*Use I would use it for school (paper,research,etc), Web browsing, youtube, Netflix, hulu, and gaming ( most likely CoD, minecraft, Battlefront).

Peripherals I'd have to get a monitor, keyboard, and mouse but that wouldn't be included in the budget. Keyboard and mouse I can get pretty cheap, but the monitor I'd have to find on sale. Any suggestions for a monitor would be nice as well.

OS I would need an OS but again not included in the budget. I don't really want a disk drive in the build, as I would never use it. Is there a way to get the OS on a flash drive?

Preferences I'd prefer an Intel based build, but if AMD has more bang for my buck, then that is cool as well. I'm not big on graphics or anything like that either. I'd like for there to be a way to upgrade this in the future. For now I just want to a nice basic start into PC gaming. Also I don't have a wired connection in my room at the moment, so would this need a wireless adapter until I can get the router and stuff connected?

Any help for this would be greatly appreciated. Im not super knowledgeable about computer components but I'm learning. I plan to start ordering parts soon, and want to make sure I'm not making any major mistakes. Thanks eveyone!

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

i3 and 950 are the perfect pair for budget gaming. The i3 performs better than most AMD FX chips in gaming and the 950 can overclock to performance similar to the GTX 960 for a lot less. The deal on that power supply is over soon, so I would get that first (and is a damn good deal considering SeaSonic makes extremely high quality products).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor $111.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $83.89 @ OutletPC
Memory GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $38.99 @ Newegg
Storage Hitachi Ultrastar 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $34.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card $139.99 @ Amazon
Case Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case $34.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $48.99 @ SuperBiiz
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $17.49 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $511.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-24 18:00 EDT-0400

And to answer your query on the OS on a flash drive, yes you can install via a flash drive ( http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/a/install-windows-7-usb.htm ). If you get Windows 10, you can get it to come on a flash drive without having to set it up yourself.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for replying. Do you know what I should do about the OS by any chance?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess the last of my 400 edits didn't make it through (my fault for lazily reading the post).

To answer your query on the OS on a flash drive, yes you can install via a flash drive ( http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/a/install-windows-7-usb.htm ). If you get Windows 10, you can get it to come on a flash drive without having to set it up yourself.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your help! I can't wait to get started on my build.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem.

Here are a few monitor suggestions (two are most likely as cheap as they are going to get but the Asus might go on sale for a bit cheaper) and a good keyboard mouse bundle for cheap

Type Item Price
Monitor Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Monitor $124.95 @ Amazon
Monitor Acer S220HQLAbd 60Hz 21.5" Monitor $99.99 @ Amazon
Monitor LG 22MC37D-B 60Hz 21.5" Monitor $99.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $29.99 @ Amazon
Total $354.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-24 18:28 EDT-0400
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

This build is pretty poorly balanced at the moment, but it offers unparalleled upgradeability. The motherboard will allow upgrade all the way up to a 6700k, and also allows the pentium to be overclocked for solid performance. The build has an SSD boot drive which will keep the games that are installed on it nice and quick to load, as will be the case with the OS. The case is a budget case, but it's fabulous for its price. I have one myself! The CPU cooler in the build is a wonderfully balanced cooler with a great price. It comes with plenty of thermal paste to allow for plenty of re-applications when upgrading, and it offers great overclocking headroom for its low price. The PSU is reliable, but you'll want to move to a higher wattage unit with upgrades.

The build is 487 without any of the peripherals' prices factored in.

EDIT: forgot the wifi adapter. It's just a bit above 500 with that in there: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/tp-link-wireless-network-card-tlwn781nd

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor $67.35 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $28.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $98.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $42.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $42.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card $98.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $35.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Antec Basiq 350W ATX Power Supply $25.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor AOC I2421VWH 60Hz 24.0" Monitor $109.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $29.99 @ Amazon
Total $627.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-24 18:04 EDT-0400
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem! If you can manage the extra budget to get a 950 as was suggested in the other build, I'd definitely go for it. It is a solid gpu for its price

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube