add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows OS - Discussion

Eternalz
  • 56 months ago

Hey guys, i was wondering, i'm going to build a New PC and i need a OS, but for the price if i was to buy it, i'd probably have to wait another month for the os not the build. Okay sooo.... i was wondering, can you get windows 8, 8.1, or 10, for free? if not i can and will buy it, just have to wait longer, you see because it'll be a newer PC.

Just asking this, anyways, perhaps you could boot it from a Flash Drive? like a ISO, and if that can be, then where to get a ISO for free? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

image: http://i.imgur.com/I4QADFa.png could this be a iso that is free? i don't "fully" know lol. or if i couldn't do this, know any where to get Windows 8 - 10 cheaper? again, this is for my new build, i have 10 on my old PC.

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 3 points

you can install and run on a trial period, but youll have to buy a license to activate it after that... you can buy a couple weeks this way...

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks will do.

• 56 months ago
  • 3 points

You could install a trial copy of Windows in the meantime. Once you're able to you can then purchase a legitimate product key.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks will do.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

can you get windows 8, 8.1, or 10, for free?

No. You can find the install ISO's but they don't come with a license key.

Maybe ask at your school? Sometimes they have a deal with Microsoft which allows them to offer Windows (and Office) at a discount to students.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

ah, if i can't do 1, then i'll make sure i do 2. also, for 1, on my windows 10 pc, i have its product key, so if i put that iso on a flash drive, boot it up, and enter that key from my other PC, OR find one online, could that work? if not, i'll do 2nd option.

• 56 months ago
  • 3 points

on my windows 10 pc, i have its product key, so if i put that iso on a flash drive, boot it up, and enter that key from my other PC

Since that key is probably activated, it's tied to the mobo which means it'll only work with that one pc.

OR find one online, could that work?

It might, it might not... BUT: that would violate the UELA and even is illegal as it's essentially pirating Windows (I'm not judging here, just pointing out possible issues).

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

no. the windows 10 license keys are locked to your hardware.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, alright thanks, will buy it.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 10 is free as an upgrade from an older version of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 only. While it isn't technically within the software license for Windows..... Moving a Windows install and activating it is possible. If you have an OEM copy it's usually regarded as "only for that hardware setup" so technically, according to the license, if you change 1 component you've voided it. If you own a retail copy you can, if I remember correctly, have it installed on only 1 functioning machine at any time.

I won't say how to move a Windows license as it may be, technically, interpreted as piracy.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube