add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New to all this, I need guidence.

Sabre363
  • 55 months ago

I'm new to computer building and don't really know what I'm doing. My budget is about $1000 for the computer I can go a bit over though. It needs to handle high but not intensive gaming, 3d modeling in Blender Cycles and rendering in Cycles. I live in LA California. I want to run Windows 10 (unless everybody starts screaming at me). I need a keyboard and monitor but they are not included in the $1000. I want to get the best quality for my budget. Oh, it can get quite hot where I'm at so the case needs lots of fans and good airflow. Let me know if I missed anything.

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

If you haven't done it already, the first thing you want to do is get on Youtube and look up How-to videos on both PC building and proper cable management. You'll need good cable management to improve airflow inside your case. 2nd, If you have a friend or family member who is familiar with PC building and/or has some prior experience in doing so, get them to help you. You can do it on your own, but Its always good to have a 2nd set of hands when building a PC. Last, you want to find a work space in your house that is as static free as possible...I.E. No Carpet. Static discharge can kill your components before you ever boot up your PC, so be careful and touch anything metal to ground yourself before starting. Getting a anti-static strap or ESD mat will help with grounding.

Also, Windows 10 works great! I have it on my old laptop that I'm using now and it boots up much faster than Windows 7 ever did. The only issue I'm having is that I can't play Star Trek Online anymore because it crashes when I try to update, but I'm thinking its more of a hardware issue since I've talked to others who play that game and they can play it on Windows 10 just fine.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $292.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.50 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $67.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $42.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card $327.98 @ Newegg
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $35.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive $13.69 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $89.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1050.79
Mail-in rebates -$45.00
Total $1005.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-26 21:53 EDT-0400
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your help. I will go see if I know anyone that has built a computer before.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Good idea. Glad I could help.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mrYLZL

this is heavily for the 3d modeling side.

6 core hyperthreaded i7, 16g of ddr4 3000, and a nice cpu cooler. the downside is the 360 probably could get you ultra graphics on fallout 4 (you would be surprised how well it benchmarks though)

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Reading a quick non official guide leads me to believe that blender cycles uses the GPU to render and uses it very efficiently but having a decent CPU and wedge of RAM helps too... expensive...

Lets see what can be achieved though. Nvidia is recommended in this guide as it uses CUDA .

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

In my mind having read what I have (quickly mind you) this is what I would do

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $242.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $57.89 @ OutletPC
Memory PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.73 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card $489.99 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $43.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $51.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $89.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1086.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-27 03:38 EDT-0400

The xeon is essentially and i7 so has hyperthreading (8 threads as opposed to 4 of a standard quad core)

The 980 is as good as it's going to get from Nvidia at this price (If that is too far over, drop to an 970).

16GB of RAM apparently helps with viewing the work rather than creating it...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube