add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Accidentally bought a OEM power supply, need to figure out power cord solution

deniscl21
  • 53 months ago

Hello,

I am currently working on my first build. Got everything in the mail a few days ago and one thing stood out to me is that the PSU I received from NewEgg came simply wrapped in bubble wrap. No box, manuals, etc. Did a quick google search and soon found out that what I bought was a OEM PSU.

The PSU that I purchased is the SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151086). So I am trying to figure out what to do in regards to a power cable. Since this is my first build, I don't have a spare PSU power cord laying around... Or do I? I have a bricked PS3 that is just sitting collecting dust. Can I simply plug in the PS3 power cord to my new build? Or do I need a specific power cord for a PC? (Obviously I dont want to risk damage my new build because I used the wrong cord). Any other concerns that I might not be aware of in regards to OEM power supplies? Thanks.

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

its a very standard cord that can be borrowed from an old monitor, or bought new for cheap at any electronics store, newegg, amazon, etc...

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

buy this

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

It needs to be a "3 prong" cord so iirc the ps3 cable wont work, if you have a kettle laying around tho that usually will.

Monoprice is prolly the cheapest place if you need to order one.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the replies every one. I looked around like elvenson suggested and found a power cord of a old Sony VAIO monitor. The power cord is a I-SHENG rated at 10A 125V 1250W. Would that work with the following build? Or am I better off with the 15A / 125V power cord that PureBlackFire suggested?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $201.98 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus H97-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard -
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $44.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $96.65 @ Newegg
Case Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $43.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full (32/64-bit) $119.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $577.58
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-28 19:33 EDT-0400

I am probably going to try to put this build together some time this weekend. Being that the PSU is OEM it also doesn't include mounting screws. Will the case come with the necessary screws to mount the Power Supply? Thanks again.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Literally any plug that will fit in the slot will work.

And yes, cases usually come with a variety of extra screws for different things, one of which is the PSU (though I can't promise all do).

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube