add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can my PSU run it

jdennis4077
  • 54 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dDQfWZ

I already own the CX600 and would like to save some money by using it on this build. I am opting for the i7 CPU to get the higher guaranteed processor speed without having to overclock an i5-4690k because I felt the i7 would be more future proof, have more upgrade potential, and relieved by nervousness about overclocking.

I received feedback that I should replace the PSU when I had presented the build with the i5 and planned overclocking, is that still true with an i7 and no overclocking?

If yes please propose some replacements. I know that there are specific PSUs that have come to be known as the best/most stable, and that not all EVGA or Thermaltake PSUs are created equally.

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

i7 CPU to get the higher guaranteed processor speed without having to overclock an i5-4690k

If you are just gaming overclocking won't really help with frame rates at all with most games, and the i7 is totally unnecessary for gaming.

felt the i7 would be more future proof

Future proofing really isn't a thing. Either CPU should last you a good 4-5 years.

Do you have a budget for a new CPU.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I am moving from an AMD FX 6100 to Intel which is what has prompted the need for a build at all. Currently I play GuildWars 2 which is incredibly CPU dependent and favors Intel heavily. My AMD simply cant cut it there.

Since Im replacing so much to move to Intel I am hoping to get the biggest improvement I can for around 800. The biggest expense so far is the CPU which ive allocated somewhere between 200 and 300 for. It seems that the overwhelming consensus is that the i5-4690K can do everything a gamer would need it to do and that I should put the extra money into a quality PSU to round out the build with an eye to upgrading GPU later.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Look at the i5 6600k. For $800 you should be able to squeeze in Skylake.

Sorry for the last sentence of my above comment, I meant to say what is your budget for a new power supply?

Although right now the 6600k is kinda pricey.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube