add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can my PSU handle the R9 390?

mOCHU
  • 53 months ago

Hi everyone, My current build goes like this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $0.00
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard Purchased For $0.00
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Storage Corsair Force Series 3 90GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) Purchased For $0.00
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 Wired Gaming Keyboard Purchased For $0.00
Mouse Razer ABYSSUS Wired Optical Mouse Purchased For $0.00
Headphones Superlux HD668B Headphones Purchased For $0.00
Other Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1 TB Purchased
Other Hp dvd1260i Purchased
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $0.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-27 17:53 EDT-0400

I am looking to replace the 6870 with an R9 390 (the other option was the GTX 970 of course). I intend to overclock the CPU now and add a non-stock cooler (still undecided on which one the air cooler should be). The question I have is - will my current PSU be able to handle the power requirements. I believe the minimum requirements are stated as 550W for the 390 - and I have a 520W PSU :0 I wonder if I should switch down to the GTX 970 because of this. I do have a spare Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W PSU gathering dust as well. But I need to make sure it is in working condition though. How does one ensure if the PSU is working fine? I would like to use the R9 390 because I am eyeing the LG 29UM67 FreeSync display as well to replace my current unit if it happens to come on sale over the holiday season. What do you guys think?

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Anybody who says the Tier list at Tom's is crap is either in somebody's pocket, works at one of the sites that reviews power supplies that will go unmentioned since we DON'T want to be uncouth like them or has no clue what they are talking about. If you disagree, I invite you to come discuss power supplies with us and explain exactly why it is you think as you do. Considering all the units ranked there are based off reviews from REPUTABLE professional reviews, platform specifics and issues that are reported in regular enough frequency to outweigh sales figure considerations, there is no basis for argument against it's validity.

• 53 months ago
  • 0 points

Anybody who says the Tier list at Tom's is crap is either in somebody's pocket, works at one of the sites that reviews power supplies

I am in no one pockets nor do I run a review site.

there is no basis for argument against it's validity.

Even jonnyguru agrees that the tier list is flawed and there are tons of noticable flaws in it. The XTR is based on the Seasonic G but they are in different tiers, the 550 wamt 650 watt Evga GS are based on the Seasonic G platform also but are in different tiers and the 850 and 1050 watt models are based on either the KM3 or X platform, totally different from the 550 and 650 watt models. The Fractal Design Integtra has iirc no jap caps in it but yet it is tier 3. He lumped all of the CX series together even though the 750 and 850 watt models are different from the 430/500/ and 600 watt models. Also with the CX series being tier 4 which wrong, if they are tier 4 for having not all jap caps and mediocre performance, most of tier 3 belongs there too, that is a huge flaw It has the FPS Aurum in tier 3 but the Evga G1's are tier 4 which makes zero sense. I could keep picking at the tier list all day long, my point is that it has some very noticeable flaws that the OP refuses to fix.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

indeed. the EVGA 400/430/500 non 80+ in tier three is a joke as well. maybe this dotorrent who labors soooo hard under the unfair ire of people outside of Tom's forum should correct these mistakes that several people (myself) joined that forum 8+months ago specifically to address. I mean, there are plenty of reviews out showing the GS550/650 EVGA units are inferior to the G series based units (and he's got the cyonic units that are identical, tested as performing ever so slightly better in a few instances in tier 2) and not in the same league (or the same design) as the 850/1050. I brought it up with him specifically as well as the XTR not being "tier 1" or KM3 based (still don't know where he divined this "info" from) but it hasn't been corrected months later. to his credit, around the time I joined this forum the tier list was total crap when it was divided with "tier 2a/b" and the NEX G was in tier 2a, it's currently in much better shape. but it seems anything that gets negative view from the community gets bumped down (cx. NEX G etc.) even if they are an equivalent or superior in every way to stuff that remains in higher tiers.

Had to stick a leg, not a toe, into that pool and set things straight.

if you can't see the glaring inaccuracies that remain in your "tier list" at a glance you're too misinformed to be so bold. I suggest Tom's mods and tier list thumpers in general stay inside their bubble over at Tom's forum. they'd be alot happier IMO.

[comment deleted]
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

the evga 400 is acceptable for very low power builds. it's not particularly good at anything. it's the standard low end HEC bin fodder.

[comment deleted]
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Kinda tagging in here, but the tier list author gives no reason as to why he puts certain units in different tiers.

It's like he plops whatever he wants wherever he wants.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

and there you have the big issue, because he's not an expert and apparently not the most informed person either. but he has all the say in the form and content of that list. people show him clear and blatant mistakes in the placement of certain units, even whole series, yet at the end of the day it's a pet project rather than the objective and accurate resource that it could be. I am and have always been in favor of splitting hairs on psus. just needs to be done better. quote:

Cyonic A new company emerged from out of nowhere (No RKO memes please) and have done excellently with their first units, the AU-550x and the AU-650x. Based on Seasonic's G Series platform, they have done well at JonnyGuru and HardOCP. Tier 2 because, you know, Seasonic G series units. And if a platform of a different make of PSU is pretty much the same as the base model, it is in the same tier.

an ironic note about the new cyonic units (cyonic was started by the former EU chief of Seasonic) being that the EVGA GS 550/650 are the first versions of this new seasonic platform to arrive and they are lumped in tier 1 with the KM3 based GS850/1050. more irony/lulzfodder being that while riding the typical asumption they are G series based they go in tier 2 while the actually G based XFX XTR remain in tier 1. this is the stuff punchlines are made of. ah well.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

The XTR and G Series are the same platform, but they are not the same PSU. If you prayed to what you preached, you would have compared JG's reviews of both of them and seen just that (the XTR done by Tazz in July, the G Series done by Wolf in 2013). For example, the first part of each teardown shows the fan - the XTR 650 uses a 135mm fan, the G Series uses a 120mm fan. The XTR uses a Rubycon Primary cap, the G series uses a Hitachi. There's many more differences between the 2 series of PSUs.

Oh, and even JG gave them different ratings.

The CX lineup is awful crap. Every gamer who has used one knows they degrade rapidly after the first year.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

The XTR and G Series are the same platform, but they are not the same PSU

I realize that, I never said they was the same.

The CX lineup is awful crap.

They aren't awful, they are just mediocre, awful would be Diablotek or something.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

right back at you. there are similar differences in main caps (note that hitachi, chemi-con, rubycon and panasonic are all tier 1 caps) in psus that are in the same tier. there are psus that have different caps from review samples on from different sites (RM1000 ex.) so is each one of those a different psu? meh. it's not a very good psu anyway. and yea, the xfx got a different score from jonnyguru.com (two different guys reviewing them two years apart who'd have thought). it got a lower score than the seasonic it's based on despite the bigger fan, being fully modular and the semi passive fan mode. so naturally it belongs to a higher tier on the legit tier list if it has a different brand of equivalent main capacitor and scores lower in a review from the same site. legit as it gets. :/ at least you bothered to address one of the tier lists errors, too bad you kind of bungled it with the example you gave.

cx isn't a very good psu, but it isn't a hazard either. it surely isn't for gaming systems and I've always steered people away from them. they just aren't as bad as people make them out to be (aside from the 750 that although is a better design than the lower watt versions, is less competivive for a 750 watt or $90 psu). and the inexplicable sentiment that stuff like the evga 500/600B is better is laughabble. just like how the 400/430/500 units are tiered higher than the G1. I guess all the units people fall out with after learning they aren't as good as people thought get thrown in tier 4 while stuff that's the same or worse hangs out with the big boys in tier 3. shall we move on to the GS 550/650 now? how they're a diferent tier psu from cyonic? how the FSP Aurum gold is better tier than the NEX G, a variant that performs as well as that nasty platform can?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

slipped my mind, what about the Antec Edge 650 also based on this platform? uses a similar fan as the XFX, rubycon main and performance is slightly better in every single aspect (0.4% more efficient, .05% tighter vreg on the +12v and 5v, .16% on the 3.3v as well as ~4 - 9 mv lower ripple on every rail) sourced from tpu reviews of each. oh, and XFX is using Hitachi in the TPU sample. hmm.... now is the XFX strictly using hitachi main, rubycon main (because seasonicand friends surely cannot have room for more than one company on their avl :/). should the XTR go in tier 1 and 2 for the random units people will buy that have an assortment of rubycon and hitachi caps? seeing this issues with the logic behind the placement of some psus in the tier list yet? maybe? Antec Edge is in tier 2. it's actually margianlly better than the XTR 650 as tested by reputable professional reviews.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

There often is a better PSU, for a similar price. Not a hater here. Still using a gen 1 TX750w, in my main rig and an HX650w in another one. Corsair, imo, has rested on their name brand, for far too long, as of late. Their AX series is nice, but overpriced. I would rather have an Evga G2, and its 10yr warranty. You can get a better B2 Evga 750w, over the CX 750. The Seasonic built, Antec HCG 850w, would be better than a CX 850w, as well. The CX 430 isn't horrible for budget, low power Mini-ITX rigs, and is probably the only one I could see myself ever recommending, if budget dictated it. I would take an XFX 550w, over a CX 500 or 600.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

if you can't see the glaring inaccuracies that remain in your "tier list" at a glance you're too misinformed to be so bold. I suggest Tom's mods and tier list thumpers in general stay inside their bubble over at Tom's forum. they'd be alot happier IMO.

That's the kind of comment that just goes to show the small minded, elitist attitudes that never result in anything being accomplished for any kind of "greater good", but is only self serving. Congratulations, you made yourself feel good by slinging condescension at others. Being intelligent enough to grasp the tenets that escape others does not in any way make you superior, but I suspect you already know that which is why you feel the need to make those kinds of comments.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

now that you've failed to "set everybody straight" and learned of your own shortcomings on the subject, it's quick to call those who care about accuracy "elitist". that's new :/. see ya darkbreeze.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

The tier list at Tom's is the result of much research, testing and hard work. There is no brand loyalty on the list. Units either test well and demonstrate good construction methods or they don't, and are scored accordingly. Is it perfect? No, but it sure helps people to make a more informed choice on their purchase.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Hard work doesn't make something good, and he clearly didn't do his research due to all of the flaws in it.

The XTR is based on the Seasonic G but they are in different tiers, the 550 wamt 650 watt Evga GS are based on the Seasonic G platform also but are in different tiers and the 850 and 1050 watt models are based on either the KM3 or X platform, totally different from the 550 and 650 watt models. The Fractal Design Integtra has iirc no jap caps in it but yet it is tier 3. He lumped all of the CX series together even though the 750 and 850 watt models are different from the 430/500/ and 600 watt models. Also with the CX series being tier 4 which wrong, if they are tier 4 for having not all jap caps and mediocre performance, most of tier 3 belongs there too, that is a huge flaw It has the FPS Aurum in tier 3 but the Evga G1's are tier 4 which makes zero sense. I could keep picking at the tier list all, my point is that it has some very noticeable flaws that the OP refuses to fix.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

The CX series has been much viewed, discussed, weighed and judged - it's crap. They are rated for 30C (86F), which is so cold, no gaming PC would ever be found at such low temperatures. Many people rooms are at higher temperatures. They use low rated capacitors, including the 750M's primary rated at 85C. This has been looked at so many times, the CX series is not up for debate, and it feels ridiculous even discussing it.

You think the CX series is good, it's not. It sucks. You're wrong, stop posting suggestions to people.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

The CX series has been much viewed, discussed, weighed and judged - it's crap.

Show me a review where its crap, as in completely out of atx specs because that is what I consider crap, not a mediocre unit.

They are rated for 30C (86F), which is so cold, no gaming PC would ever be found at such low temperatures.

They are rated for that much at full load, you shouldn't be buying a budget psu and using it at full load, its rated for 40C for it not running at full load.

You think the CX series is good, it's not. It sucks. You're wrong, stop posting suggestions to people.

I never said it was good, I just said they aren't awful, people either think I hate Corsair products or am a fanboy, I can't win, and I am going to continue posting suggestions to people, I am not going to let you stop me.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

there is no winning. you're either part of one fanboy, BS school of thought or part of another. anyone objective is called a fanboy by every differrent variety of misinformed fanboy. welcome to hell vagabond139.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

It's practically impossible to please everybody.

[comment deleted]
  • 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I'll tell you what. When you feel frisky enough to attempt a list of your own, in any form, let us know. We'll be waiting. A long time I suspect. Now you can argue that a tier list can't possibly take every aspect of power supply manufacture and quality into account, as that would be an impossible task for a single person. It would require a rather large staff and some decent resources. And you'd be right. Which is why the work that HAS been done should be applauded, not torn down over what are really less meaningful details of the overall picture.

The list isn't intended to be an all encompassing platform for experienced enthusiasts or power supply aficionados, it's there to help basic users and novice enthusiasts avoid catastrophic choices and offer them a fairly accurate, if somewhat incomplete, framework of choices by which they can determine a model that has been determined to be better or worse, to varying degrees, according to whatever information is available via the few reputable testing sites, platform data and WHAT WE SEE day after day in the forums, even when that data may go against the grain of an otherwise reputable review. We all know many of the units are hand picked, and not of the same quality, on average, as what you'd buy off the shelf. We also know other models get purchased specifically for the purpose of avoiding that pitfall. None of that comes out in a review, it's only seen or can be determined by way of common consensus gathered from other users on the forums.

We also know that many of the units that do well in initial testing, would test for crap if they were retested 6 months, a year or a year and a half after the initial review if they were used like any other member's power supply was used on a daily basis under sustained loads over time. All of this information DOES get consideration when Dottorent tiers a device. And as mentioned, just because two units use the same base platform, does not in any way mean you have equal hardware. There are clear differences in cooling hardware, cooling policies and other considerations like cable quality and warranty that all factor in as to why two units based on the same platform may end up on disparate tiers.

I submit that for what it's intended to do, the tier list is a valuable resource. Not for PSU experts, advanced enthusiasts or electronics engineers, but for the audience it's intended to target, which are folks who would otherwise not have an inkling of which models were good, ok or terrible otherwise. Is it 100% accurate down to the last cap on a given platform? No. But it's not intended to be. If any of you naysayers think for a minute you can create and maintain a more relevant, meaningful and detailed method of presenting power supplies for selection, be it a tier list or some other methodology, please, by all means, show everybody how badass you are and do it. A resource like that would be invaluable to all the tech forums.

Otherwise, shut up and quit bashing something you aren't willing to put the necessary time in to create or help with in a MEANINGFUL fashion. It's easy to knock the work of others when we don't have to put in any ourselves.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

it's literally a list without a single sourced review, platform info or anything on the units it contains. I could do that on a napkin at lunch. expert, newcomer, intermediate, this isn't a very good resource for anyone. it's a nice reference list as is, that's about all. and just so we're clear, I never called the psu tier list "crap", at least not this version of it. I don't feel negatively or positively toward it. it's just a list to me like I said and could be at least accurate throughout and has plenty of room to become a more useful resource. now the Z87 and X99 motherboard tier lists over there, those are cringeworthy crap.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I could do that on a napkin at lunch.

Yeah, I'm sure. I'd suggest you do so, so we can critique your version. Maybe it WILL be an improvement, in which case, it will be a good resource to add to the list of other resources, which is all the tier list is supposed to be. It's not intended to be a bible. If somebody thinks they're qualified and capable of creating a PSU bible, do it. All I ever hear or see is talk about how wrong it is but what I DON'T see is anybody stepping up to the table. Like the saying goes, "put up or shut up". And I don't just specifically mean you PBF, I just mean all the naysayers in general.

If anybody aside from those who regularly frequent the tier list ever bothered to read through the whole thread, you'd know that the reviews and platform particulars ARE referenced as changes to the list are made. Just because it isn't noted next to each unit, doesn't mean the details aren't there to see.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

It's not intended to be a bible.

I know, I think two things. one being that a tier list is fine as a reference list to just highlight psus's relative qulaity to others IF the repeatedly mentioned things are cleaned up. I did join Tom's forum 7 or 8 months ago to offer polite input as this forum here was very pro tier list at the time, it popped up every post along with the NEX G as the then most frequently recommended psu (it was cheap and in tier 2 of the list at the time). people who don't really know the first or second thing about power supplies, or most computer hardware in general, a common siting around here, were recommending to people how to spend their money and it blew my freaking mind. they were just referencing dottorrent's tier list and nothing else. I offered some counterpoints complete with data from several sources and it was like they'd put up a wall, the wall being the tier list. it still happens (blind leading the curious part, not so much the tier list getting referenced) and that's the only reason I stick around here. when I joined up at Tom's to chat about the tier list, dottorrent actually said that the XFX XTR units were "changed to KM3" platform and that was the reason he gave for them being in tier 1. now yesterday you had some other reason for it, but that doesn't hold up either being the antec edge that's relagated to tier 2 as well into the mix as that has everything the XFX has plus bling and better performance. even talked about the EVGA GS when those came out and reviews showed the series is based on two different platforms. still not addressed to this moment. so you have outright refusal even though anybody can dig up the tests and comparisons on this stuff. even today someone only chose to buy the better of EVGA's 650 watt power supplies because the 650 G2 is on sale. he said that if he hadn't seen the thread in the deals section he was buying the 650 GS because it was $5 cheaper and "both are tier 1". it's not the list itself I have a problem with, it's the logic and process behind how things are placed that is clearly flawed and the apparent unwillingness to fix it. there seems to be a lack of consistency throughout. and to say that sorting is also based on data from forums is not helping as the sample size is tiny and likely nobody over there has concrete data on things like failure rates for specific series of power supplies.

second thing, and this has nothing to do with what dottorrent is doing with the tier list really, is that this type of list does not lend itself to the kind of answers people seek when buying and doesn't teach much. I don't want to call it shallow, but it's like the old parable about teaching a man to fish vs giving him one of yours to eat. the tier list doesn't tell people that something like the 1300 G2 has a loud fan profile that has bothered several of it's owners. it doesn't tell people that if you have a 295X2 you might want to steer clear of some otherwise excellent psus that have those string pci-e cables in favor of something with a one pci-e connector per cable. my initial gripe was that too much is glossed over, but I get that it's not supposed to be a buyer's guide. when you came posting here about all the work that went into it and the checking and such, I just couldn't stop thinking about how the things I brought up were missed or misunderstood in all these months of research. then I looked at the Tom's thread and there was calling people pcpp mods (the owner's of this site are a group of friends AFAIK and none of us users are allowed to become mods even if we wanted to) that were making commision of sales of the cx series and other silly things aimed at people who questioned or put down the tier list and I felt some kind of way. I hate for discussions to turn personal and sour. that is never my intention.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

You have some credible points, I can give you that. However, one, Dottorent does this on his own, for free, with no help, in his spare time, and with no "reward" aside from personal satisfaction for doing so. That means changes get made when he has time to make them. If there was a number of people or a group of staff involved that could immediately address concerns, then it would be understandable that more time should be put into the development of the list.

Also, some aspects of judging power supplies are subjective. What one reviewer likes to see, another may find distasteful. So there can be some amount of variance in the placement of very similar units that may have some minor but noticeable differences. You know that as well as I do. The main reason I felt the need to even comment in the first place was due to the nature of the comments being made here.

it's literally a list without a single sourced review, platform info or anything on the units it contains.

To me, that's a comment looking for heat.

and there you have the big issue, because he's not an expert and apparently not the most informed person either

and that.

I suggest Tom's mods and tier list thumpers in general stay inside their bubble over at Tom's forum.

and that.

And then we have this:

Even jonnyguru agrees that the tier list is flawed and there are tons of noticable flaws in it.

which I know wasn't you, but is part of what brought me into the conversation. Sure, Jonny says the list is flawed, and it is, but it's still a very good resource for exactly the reasons you mentioned previously. Any member who doesn't know **** from shinola, wants to get a good PSU and doesn't really care a whit about learning the platform or specifics, is not going to go wrong using that list as a tool for helping to determine the best unit they can obtain within their financial means. There are no Tier 1 or 2 units listed that are lousy. As far as I'm concerned, there are no tier 3 or 4 units listed that don't belong there for one reason or another.

And after we invited Jonny to participate in getting the tier list "tweaked" into shape, to be a bit more accurate and all encompassing, which he said he would do, instead he began working on his own tier list so he could "show us all" how it's really done. Well, after tiering about twenty or thirty units, it appears he realized how time consuming it was going to be and that there was unlikely to be a lot of personal gain to be had from it, and abandoned the effort. Since Dottorent has been working on this list off and on as time allows (And no, I have no idea what his personal life is like or whether he could in fact contribute a bit more time investment in the list) for as long as I've been at Tom's and longer, I think all things considered it beats any other list out there in terms of helping users avoid undesirable units, which really, is the main reason any of us gives a **** about this subject in the first place.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

You have some credible points, I can give you that. However, one, Dottorent does this on his own, for free, with no help, in his spare time, and with no "reward" aside from personal satisfaction for doing so. That means changes get made when he has time to make them.

he's had almost 8 months between the time I looked last and the edits he made 3 days ago. can none of you mods make an edit if he doesn't have the time?

Also, some aspects of judging power supplies are subjective. What one reviewer likes to see, another may find distasteful. So there can be some amount of variance in the placement of very similar units that may have some minor but noticeable differences. You know that as well as I do. The main reason I felt the need to even comment in the first place was due to the nature of the comments being made here.

I stay away from subjective as much as possible. a resource one psus probably shouln't tier stuff based on subjective opinion. as far as I knew of course you came here to say the obvious, the tier list is "good", "great", etc. due to people saying otherwise. mostly I see in the thread there that you guys have alot of brand favoritism in general

To me, that's a comment looking for heat.

and that

and that

to me it's the truth though. I don't see sources on the listed psus linked. all I see is guys from Toms coming here to "set this straight" and argue over their opinion of this tier list.

Any member who doesn't know **** from shinola, wants to get a good PSU and doesn't really care a whit about learning the platform or specifics, is not going to go wrong using that list as a tool for helping to determine the best unit they can obtain within their financial means. There are no Tier 1 or 2 units listed that are lousy. As far as I'm concerned, there are no tier 3 or 4 units listed that don't belong there for one reason or another.

can't gree there. the way EVGA sells their leadex based units at a loss and having things like the GS, XTR in tier 1, any newbie can go to newegg.com and pay $10 more for the XTR 650 while the better 650 G2 is $99. that's a burn even though it's a very good psu. your money can go further. just the day you came over here someone in the deals section mentioned he was gonna buy a 650GS as they "are both tier 1" for $10 more than the 650 G2. the GS isn't bad either, but performance is a big drop off from the G2's and it lacks OPP. the evga 400/430/500 80+ in tier 3 is a laugh so maybe you need to have another look through tiers 3 and 4. the safest bracket on that list is tier 2. this list goes beyond weeding out undesirable units, "recommend psu list" handles that. it's telling people how good the recommendable units are in relation to each other, and that's where it gets tripped up. maybe too much subjective selection goes into it.

can't speak to why jonnyguru gave up on a tier list, but I wouldn't even attemp one. maybe a simple recommended list or more importantly, a buyer's guide is what I'd do. something that can tell people about what psu suits their needs and their preferences instead of just what's not junk like a recommend list would or what I feel ranks here like the tier list.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Some people actually worship this list. LIVE BY THE TIER LIST DIE BY THE TIER LIST...

But seriously look at some Tom's Hardware questions, Youtube videos, and even the PCMR Reddit. Some people thing that if they don't get a "tier 1" unit their new rig is going to burst into flames.

It's obviously not a perfect list, but most people look at it as the "Holy PSU Tier List 2.0".

As Jonny Guru put it, "to many people the power supply is just the little black box that makes the LED's turn on in your computer". Most people can't differentiate between a bad power supply and a good power supply, so thus they will need the most perfect list they can get.

Seriously look into revising it.

• 53 months ago
  • 0 points

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

This is a list of recommended PSU Wattage. The R9 390 is listed at 650W. A GTX 970 is listed at 500W.

I'm building a PC with an R9 390 Nitro card, which seems to have more power requirements than the standard R9 390.

Edit: You can use this list to help you if you were interested in looking at upgrading the PSU: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

thanks... im choosing to go with the gtx 970 to fit within my current psu capabilities

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Good choice.

• 53 months ago
  • 0 points

The tier list is awful, OP don't use it if don't want to end up with a psu that doesn't meet your expectations or over looked one because of it.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

what would you suggest as a good reference source for the PSUs?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Actuall reviews from sites like jonnyguru or if you have questions just ask here.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

But what about a comparative study of the PSUs? For instance, I needed a efficient/silent PSU for my build with 850W minimum and ended up going for the G2 1000W based off of reviews on silentpcreview.com .. Unfortunately those guys don't do too many reviews of PSUs these days. Is there any alternate source that you would suggest? What would your personal suggestion be?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

techpowerup does fan noise tests on power supply reviews as does Tom's hardware. do not get the 1000G2 if you want a "silent" psu as it's nothing of the kind. the 1000 G2/1300 G2 are the first of the superflower units EVGA made. they have capxon secondary caps, don't have the same eco fan mode as the 550 - 850 watt models and the default fan profile is around the 1000 rpm mark, even if you have a 300 watt load on it.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

You are just going to have to compare psu's by hand by reviews. I am considering doing a almost 100% objective list of psu's with much smaller collection so I can manage it better so I can refer people to that but that still wouldn't slove the issue of what to get exactly or take price into consideration. I might try to make something over the summer that would recommend a specific one based on price, performance, noise, and size.

• 53 months ago
  • 0 points

The tier list run by dottorrent is fine to look at, as they are based off of reviewers such as jonnyguru and actual parts used in the power supplies, revealed by teardowns from the reviewers.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Did you not see all of the flaws me and pureblackfire pointed out?

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

and everyone and anyone can verify these things in seconds. that's the best part. but, nah. the good ol' boys gonna keep doing what they do and let us unprofessional, professional haters and commission earning pcpp mods and staff (lol) keep "hating". maybe I just can't appreciate all the hard work that went into verifying the EVGA GS series is all the same "tier 1" platform, the 550 and 650 watt units better than the identical cyonic units that came out shortly after.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube