add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I have created my computer; wait, I can't afford an OS

Squidooo
  • 56 months ago

I'm not downloading anything other than Windows. I need to run photoshop, excel, etc. And I'd just like to stick with something reliable without any limitations.

I have windows 10 on my laptop, can I "upgrade" by going to the website and downloading windows 10 to a flash drive, or would that not work?

I need some help guys. This is my first build and I totally forgot to factor in the OS cost. Also, if I buy windows, would I have to get a disk reader?

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

No you can't. When you do the Windows 10 upgrade it grabs your Windows 7 or 8/.1 license and sends it to Microsoft to generate a Windows 10 key specific to that hardware.

Unless you install a valid copy of Windows 7 or 8/.1 you cannot upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, if I buy windows, would I have to get a disk reader?

No, you can download an ISO from Microsoft and use it to create a bootable USB.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I ran into the same problem, but didn't need any proprietary software, and I was open minded enough to give Linux a shot before committing to buying Windows. I'm probably never going back. Good luck with your problem. Ubuntu 14.04 comes with 3 programs that are very similar to Excel, Word, and Powerpoint.

[comment deleted]
  • 55 months ago
  • 1 point

You can install Windows on a trial basis, giving you some time to get the money to purchase it.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

How would I go about doing this?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

... with something reliable without any limitations.

Enterprise trials are for 90 days only and require a clean install after the trial period.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube