add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

99$ PSU worth it?

mattataki
  • 80 months ago

Hello PCPP users,

I am like many others deciding on my first build. I was wondering if what I've chosen so far is adequate or if I could go cheaper. For now, I was going to first buy a case and PSU while stuff are at their cheapest, but now, I see, prices are going up. Every day I choose something, the next it goes 20$ over. So that's why I have to buy quick. I was wondering for my build, if it was ok for the PSU or if I could go cheaper. I am asking this because I know the PSU is something you don't want to go cheap on. But you never want to overbuy either. I am not really looking to overclock ATM, I don't know if I will change my mind later but I don't think I will really. About video card, I think at the time I will want to buy a new one, I'll also maybe just change other parts like the PSU anyway. What should I do? I am on a tight budget now and lost my revenue. My employer actually still owes me a week. So basically, I am on tight budget but that budget isn't actually written on paper, I only speculate ATM. What I know for sure is that I won't be able to buy all the parts at once. Anyway, I was way over my limit, when I first chose my parts, something like 980$. So I do want anyway to drop some other stuff down, I was thinking about a APU but it would be pointless because I own a computer and it would match it's capabilities, I want something that surpasses it.

Thank you, - Mike

Comments

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

no absolutely not worth it if you wanted a good psu for 100$ then get this one http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-rbr1000m are you planning to do crossfire? if your are then just go with http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ss750am this power supply is a great deal right now

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah thanks, I am going for the Seasonic then. Why is the rosewill so good? Because it can do crossfire rather than the sli one with seasonic? Isn't there crossfire capable ones like this:http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cmpsu650txv2?

• 80 months ago
  • -1 points

i it can do crossire then it can do sli and backwards the rosewill is because its a 1000 watt or 100$ and its a good 1000 watt

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

ah ok

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

What is your actual budget? If you don't give us a figure we can't give you a build to that budget.

Based on your build above, I would suggest:

Get rid of the CPU Cooler, unless I'm mistaken the 4670K comes with a stock CPU cooler. If you don't OC then you don't need the non-stock cooler. It's not ideal but you are trying to save money.

Change from 8gb of ram to 4gb of Ram. Again, you're trying to save money.

Get rid of that random case and get an Antec GX700. I've never even heard of the company that you have your case from in your build.

Swap the PSU to the Antec HCG-620. It's slightly cheaper, and just as good.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/mack_au/saved/2iYH

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $244.99 @ NCIX
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $134.99 @ NCIX
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $40.57 @ NCIX
Storage Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $99.99 @ NCIX
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $72.88 @ NCIX
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card $179.99 @ NCIX
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $27.99 @ NCIX
Case Antec GX700 ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ NCIX
Power Supply Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $84.99 @ NCIX
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $956.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-02 13:14 EDT-0400
  • 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh sorry, as I said, I don't have a fix budget. That's why I am only asking to lower piece by piece. Once I get a budget, I'll give it then but for now, let's say it's somewhere under 800$

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Under $800 you're probably going to need an AMD build.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok then, it's just that I've got a friend who've gotten all his parts for almost 800: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/mattataki/saved/2iZR I thought I could do better price by dropping some stuff down. He did his build before me but just gave me his parts list like 2 days ago. We have the same CPU but I did not copy him lol. I ha no idea what he bought except the case, I saw his case.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh but about AMD, what do you think about APUs? They seem cheap and ok. Would that be a good choice? In the beginning, I wanted something more performant than my friend's, maybe competition. :) Though, now, I'm really considering this option, I could brag about the price maybe? lol, my point there was not to do better than him, it was just because I wanted to play a game with him but at all lowest settings, I wasn't able to play it on my laptop. Since I need a laptop because i travel a lot. All this meaning I am not selling it meaning I don't get money from it.

I also heard Seagate hybrid storage, their SSHD. I might get one of those when they become available for desktops, I heard something like mid-September for Europe, idk for Canada.

Like that, I'll have a totally hybrid desktop.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know much about APU's or AMD CPU's, so I won't comment on it.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for reserving yourself. I wouldn't of liked if you would just throw off some random stuff and get me wrong.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube